Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. In Q1 of 2013 Tesla has delivered more than 10,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries. Tesla's Model S is the world's first premium sedan designed and engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle and was named Automobile Magazine's 2013 Automobile of the YearÂ® and Motor Trend's prestigious 2013 Car of the YearÂ®.
As an Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) Software Systems Engineering Lead, you will be part of a team working towards Tesla's vision of fully autonomous vehicles. You will be leading the architecture and contributing to the implementation of the software system that processes input from a variety of vehicle sensors, evaluates possible vehicle strategies/trajectories, and automates safe control of the vehicle.
- Define technical requirements for advanced driver assistance systems software controls
- Define the system-wide software architecture for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems and Sensors
- Based on your software architecture, define and influence requirements for the hardware design teams
- Develop embedded firmware in C that implements the architecture you've defined
- Assess the system for failure modes and design resilient and redundant mechanisms to protect against those failures
- Collaborate with the control systems, simulation and modeling teams to design control strategies that can be implemented in software efficiently
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
- Extensive experience architecting complex, highly distributed real-time embedded systems
- Extensive experience creating, presenting, and refining clear, compelling technical specifications from top-level system architecture documents down to low-level implementation guides and test plans
- Experience developing embedded firmware for safety-critical applications in production environments
- Strong intuition for, and interest in, designing systems for testability
- Understanding of control systems fundamentals
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Understanding of advanced driver assistance sensors such as radar, camera, ultrasonic, and lidar, including the measurement and data-reduction, target identification and environmental synthesis, and sensor fusion
- System-oriented understanding and experience with vehicle dynamics controls; e.g. brake actuation; torque application; tire characteristics; vehicle kinematics, etc.
- Experience with existing ADAS technologies, including adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane-following, automated lane changing.
- Greater than 10 years' experience designing safety-critical, real-time embedded systems
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.