Job Description: Production Assistant Manager Manufacturing Paint Centers
About Tesla Motors
Tesla Motors is a small, aggressive, well-funded start-up in the San Francisco Bay Area that is making advanced electric vehicles, batteries, and drive systems a reality and working to change the future of the transportation industry. We are building a technically strong, fast-moving team that prides itself on superior execution.
Tesla Motors designs and sells high-performance; highly efficient electric sports cars -- with no compromises. Tesla Motors cars combine style, acceleration, and handling with advanced technologies that make them among the quickest and the most energy-efficient cars on the road.
The Engineering Assistant Manager will report to the Manager of the Paint & Plastic Paint Center and will be responsible for meeting the production forecast and ensuring policies and procedures are carried out to achieve established company goals and objectives, Quality, Safety and driving continuous improvement through the manufacturing and equipment process. The Engineering Assistant Manager provides hands-on support, leadership, and direction to the engineering team. The ideal candidate strives to create an environment that is both productive and open communication. Strives to foster a collaborative environment that is exciting and fun.
Responsible for production efficiency improvement, projects and engineering in the application and process of robotics' in sealer, primer, and topcoat areas for Body and Plastics.: (FTT) First time, Efficiency %, Safety Matrix, Quality targets and Daily Production Plan.
- Maintain high product quality and manufacturing yield while ensuring optimal use of resources and adherences to best safety practices.
- Help with implementation of and continued adherence to Lean manufacturing and 5S initiatives.
- Assess and analyze current practices and drive improves.
- Enforce proper material management procedures.
- Support and collaborate with Sales, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, and Test and Quality departments.
- Lead by example of positive reinforcement and make Tesla a World Class Manufacturing Automotive company.
- Support and meet all business plans; meet all Key Point Indicators (KPI).
- Ensure appropriate TPM systems in place and appropriate actions taken to maintain the facility in good operating condition.
- Conduct analysis and prepare reports on projects and process improvements; provide updates and reports to management.
- Ensure consistency in standards and documentation; monitor and ensure compliance.
- Maintain and improve process control systems.
- Monitor and evaluate product key characteristics.
- Support new product and material introductions; interact with design team to coordinate new model launches.
- Develop, chart, track process metrics (Visc, pressures, etc.); manage and trend process equipment.
- Make countermeasures for timely completion of project goals.
- Create process plans, bid packages, and project specifications.
- Procure equipment, track budget costs, and project schedules.
- Partner and coordinate with production, maintenance, engineering, suppliers and other areas to improve and meet goals and objectives. Support cross functional team (CFT) interaction.
- Interact with Quality management team to correct, contain, and resolve vehicle quality concerns.
- Support and manage continuous improvement activities in safety, environmental, quality, cost, efficiency, and productivity objectives; provide feedback to management on issues; benchmark other organizations for best practices.
- Administer, coordinate, and comply with all Business Management Systems (BMS) and Environmental Management Systems (EMS) requirements.
- Meet all other requirements as assigned.
- Internal Candidate with over 6 months experience in Paint Manufacturing Leadership role.
- Needs 10 years Hands-on experience in Paint
- The ideal candidate is analytical, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to pro-actively communicate with all employees and works well in a fast-paced multi-cultural environment.
- Experience with process improvement methodologies to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong interpersonal skills.
- Committed to continuous improvement.
- Well organized.
- Ability to work well under pressure, manage competing demands and meet tight deadlines with strong follow through.
- Good understanding of mechanical and standardized processes.
- Ability to use problem solving methods and techniques to successfully and efficiently resolve problems.
- Ability to foster a close working relationship with team members and management.
- 10 years related manufacturing experience, 3 years supervisory/management experience
- High-level leadership and decision making skills
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- A strong sense of urgency and drive to succeed.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Strong Budget management required.
The position of Engineering Assistant Manager is a full-time employment opportunity. A competitive benefits package is available.