Associate Sustaining Engineer
Waltham, MAJob Summary
This is an opportunity for the software engineer who started programming for fun at an early age and then pursued a degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering to formalize their knowledge base. This opportunity requires the mindset of someone that is not afraid to dig into any part of the code and find challenging issues and fix them.
You are a good fit if you have the foundation of a technical degree (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etcâ¦) and a range of experience gained through your innate curiosity, tinkering, and desire to solve technical issues; specifically:
- Youâre proficient in C++; and that means both OO and generic constructs. Youâll be coding.
- You feel you can find your way around various types of code, and figure things out.
- A generalist that is capable of working on utilities one day, and fixing defects the next day.
- Youâve reverse-engineered something to learn how it works.(You may not call yourself a hacker yet, but someday that could be exactly what you become. A White Hat of courseJ)
- You want to learn a lot working with like-minded engineers, tackle hard problems, and love challenges.
- Figuring out complex issues and then solving them gives you a rush.
- Working with a high performance team finding and solving customer issues that could span from basic configuration, through infrastructure issues and finally complicated code issues is interesting.
In this role, you will be able to solve customer and product issues, make sure it is easily supportable, surface product issue patterns, dig in and address them. This is a role that will take you through all aspects of the product, from UI through the database layer and finally to the core infrastructure code. This is a platform that processes over a 150 million transactions every day on a single piece of hardware, while at the same time maintaining a real time connection to over 150k end points on a single port. You will be able to dive in and see how that is possible and work with an awesome team to do even more in the future.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Requirements and Qualifications
- Engage with customer support and customers to understand and find a quick solution to customer issues related to Bit9 product. That includes either finding a remediation or code fix.
- Review logs, systems information, table structures and other debug data to identify areas to improve performance of databases and servers.
- Submit formal product changes (code fix) to QA and release engineering, resulting in production-quality patches for use by customers.
- Verify product changes by others prior to submitting for release.
- Troubleshoot customer-reported issues, and find a quick solution.
- Merge changes into future product releases.
Bit9 is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only direct applications will be considered; no recruiters please.
- 1-3 years of practical experience in a breadth of technical areas.
- Previous experience in a software engineering or product development organization in a formal position or internship, including some code management and bug tracking tools knowledge.
- Amazing analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Practical experience in C++ with applied knowledge of object oriented and generic programming.
- Familiar with approaches to security, reverse engineering, threat detection, performance, and quality.
- SQL Server database knowledge or Operating System Kernel knowledge a plus.
- Good written and verbal communication.