Composite Production Engineer - High Temperature SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Composite Production Engineer - High Temperature
Manufacturing and Production Engineering | Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology and engineering systems in the world.
We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced environment focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering. We build it, test it, and fly it.
As Production Engineer, you will support the High Temperature Composites team in the production of thermal protection system materials, ablative materials, ceramic matrix composites, and soft goods/textile products.
- Develop process flow to ensure workloads are balanced between Technicians and test processes are integrated
- Utilize production optimization tools (swim lane charts, work balance boards, string diagrams, story boards, etc.) in order to remove waste from the processes and delivery desired output quality and rate.
- Cross-functional coordination between engineering and production disciplines to refine build and test sequences at the major assembly level.
- Analysis of schedule risks and risk mitigation to maintain compliance with production timeline.
- Develop and implement equipment maintenance schedules, backup solutions and spare parts holding for machinery.
- Coordinate with supply chain to ensure shortages are identified and addressed prior to impacting build schedules.
- Develop a strategy to remove a hold factor when a non-conformance or issue with a drawing halts production.
- Support line trials for engineering change and integrate the solutions into the production flow.
- Influence RE/ME teams with regard to design for manufacturing/test and/or lessons learned in order to simplify production processes.
- Perform as Vehicle Controller or Test Conductor during acceptance system tests.
- Coordinate with Process Planners/Engineering to ensure accurate process / WO documentation is in place at all times.
- Establish an environment where 5S achievements are world-class by the nature of cell and equipment design (shadow board solutions, tool holding, demarcations, kanban markings, team boards, electronic visualization methods, etc.).
- Support and implement solutions for safety/environmental related incidents.
- Coordinate movement of flight hardware, tooling and/or support equipment for tests.
- Coordination of hardware rework activities in the event of failure.
- Bachelor Degree in engineering science required (or exceptional candidates with high experience/delivery).
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in an Automotive, Aviation, or Spacecraft manufacturing environment with a track record of strong achievements.
- Min of 3 years in composites production.
- General knowledge and ability to read and interpret CAD (NX 6) and ERP/MRP databases.
- Familiarity with mechanical/avionics, test and quality processes in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong analytical, computer, and written skills.
- Experience with Microsoft applications (Excel, Power Point, Project).
- Experience and capability to rapidly introduce lean manufacturing principles.
- Ability to influence working culture on the shop floor in order to achieve high levels of engagement by technicians with regards to their involvement and influence in changes.
- Experience with production of composites, advanced composites (carbon-carbon, siliocn-carbide) or carbon/ceramic fibers in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Ability to lead and influence production teams including technicians, leads, process planners, material coordinators & handlers, and quality inspectors to ensure that the factory meets or exceeds build schedules.
- Build data analysis tools and organize production dashboards.
- Lean-Sigma Certification with practical implementation experience.
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||multiple, multiple |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED