Composites Technician SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Technicians and Trade Skills | Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology and engineering systems in the world.
We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced environment focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering. We build it, test it, and fly it.
- Trimming and finishing of composite and composite metallic assemblies.
- Assembly of structures including setup, bonding and fastener applications.
- Use of solvents to prepare surfaces for sealing or assembly.
- Laminate fabrication skills, including prepreg and wet layup.
- Laminate assemblies by determining proper placement of composite materials into molds.
- Prepare parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections. Check seals on completed bagged parts for leaks.
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing.
- Make basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches.
- Must be able to work per engineering drawings as well as both written and verbal instructions and work with engineers to develop composite hardware fabrication and assembly processes/tooling.
- Layout and measure patterns on epoxy and polyurethane foams, aluminum and wood.
- Cut and shape patterns using planes, shaves, files, sure foams, scrapers, routers, hotwires, mills and lathes.
- Apply sealers, releases, base coats and finish coats using various spray equipment.
- Perform product inspection and rework as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2 years with layup, bonding or assembly of composites
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 40lbs
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Experience with composite tooling materials (Prepreg, wet layup)
- Read and interpret engineering drawings, an understanding for drawing symbols, flag notes and general notes.
- Experience with various types of hand tools or hand-held power tools.
Additional position information
- Reaming and honing and/or countersinking of uniform close tolerance holes in proper sequence while using the correct tool for the job (e.g., rivet gun and bucking bar, drill motor, power screwdriver, C-squeeze, ratchet wrench, nut runner).
- Set up assemblies and parts in various types of processing and curing equipment such as an autoclave, oven or platens press in order to obtain desired set and cure.
- Wet Layup methods such as RTM and VARTM.
- Thermal Protection System (TPS) or Phenolic Impregnated Carbon Ablator (PICA).
- Ability to operate a ply cutting machine.
- Ability to operate a laser projector to layout laminated assemblies.
- Ability to operate a laser tracker.
- Apply sealant, alodine, primer, adhesives, and special finishes
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||multiple, multiple |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED