Corporate Counsel- Licensing - San Francisco Splunk
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Splunk Legal is a collaborative team of lawyers and legal professionals who help accelerate Splunk's success by providing creative and practical answers to cutting-edge legal questions. Splunk Legal delivers thoughtful solutions that enable Splunk to grow its industry leadership position globally.
The successful candidate will focus on complex software licensing, channel and business development transactions â€" negotiating, drafting and analysing a wide variety of global agreements with a particular focus on our commercial enterprise customers. He or she will advise clients on the various legal risks, business strategies and other issues related to commercial transactions and compliance maters. He or she will also assist with the continuous development of the commercial team and its processes.
Diligent and proactive are core values of Splunk Legal coupled with excellent business judgment and strategic thinking. The right candidate can work independently as well as collaboratively in a collegial, fast-paced global team environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Advise Splunk Commercial sales teams on transactions and uses relevant to their business
- Review, draft and negotiate licenses and intellectual property agreements, sales, channel partner, business development and other agreements.
- Respond promptly to requests for legal advice from Sales, Business Development, Sales Ops, Channel and other clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts that business people can use.
- Advise all business clients on the legal issues and risks, complex deal structures, approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP, negotiation strategy and other related licensing issues.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, playbook, contract templates, and legal processes.
- Reinforce Splunk's culture of compliance by providing ongoing training, education, and overview to ensure that Splunk meets all applicable legal requirements.
- Assist in development and dissemination of policies and procedures involving licensing, intellectual property, regulatory compliance and related issues.
Education: The successful candidate will hold a Juris Doctorate from a top tier law school and be a member in good standing of a Bar of one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia.
- Possess exceptional legal capabilities and judgment.
- At least 5 years of in-depth experience in enterprise software licensing, business development, intellectual property matters, and demonstrated experience in licensing, open source, antitrust and contract laws.
- In house experience within a high growth, technology driven company is valuable however law firm candidates with significant government contracting and technology related experience will be considered.
- Preference given to candidates with the above experience in with public sector customer or European customers.
- A proven team player with experience in a fast moving, entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrated experience advising clients in structuring complex commercial transactions agreements and responding to complex customer agreements.
- Must have international licensing experience with commercial and governmental transactions.
- Background in drafting and negotiating global licenses and intellectual property agreements, services agreements and Sales, Business Development and Channel agreements.
- Outstanding drafting skills including demonstrated ability to successfully work with attention to detailed contractual language related to technology.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work with and lead teams including both attorneys and business executives to solve complex legal issues and recommend solutions.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and deadlines.
- Ability to operate independently for most issues, with some guidance.
- Superior communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Fluency in one of more languages other than English desirable.
- Highly collaborative team player with a professional desire to make a meaningful impact.
- Flexible, creative, and smart--shows initiative and perseverance, resourceful.
- Can identify creative solutions on the fly that are within the letter and spirit of the law.
- Demonstrated ability to be both strategic and detail oriented.
- Hands on energetic approach coupled with a strong commitment to excellence.
- Able to work independently and to employ excellent legal and business judgment.
- An ability to work successfully in an entrepreneurial, fast moving environment.
- Invigorated by a collaborative, innovative and decisive culture.
- High degree of accountability, professional motivation and drive.
- Ease in developing relationships of trust and confidence both within and outside Splunk.
- Comfortable outside one's â€œcomfort zoneâ€ lending to growth and development.
- Lives the mantra, â€œwork hard, have fun, make history.â€
The Licensing Counsel will report to the Associate General Counsel, Worldwide Field Operations, Cathy Peterson.
Splunk was founded to pursue a disruptive new vision: make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. Machine data is a fast growing and pervasive part of â€œbig dataâ€-- generated by every component of IT infrastructures, applications, mobile phone location data, website clickstreams, social data, RFID and much more.
Splunk is focused specifically on the challenges and opportunity of effectively managing massive amounts of machine data, and providing a next-generation platform for powerful new applications. Since shipping its software in 2006, Splunk now has 5,600 customers in over 90 countries around the world. These organizations are using Splunk to harness the power of their machine data for application management, IT operations and infrastructure management, cybersecurity, compliance, web intelligence, business analytics and more. Innovation is in our DNA â€" from technology to the way we do business.
Splunk now has over 800 employees worldwide, with headquarters in San Francisco with offices around the world.
We've built a phenomenal foundation for success with a proven leadership team, highly passionate employees and unique patented software. We invite you to help us continue our drive to define a new industry and become part of an innovative, and disruptive software company.
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED