Data Engineer Narrative Science
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED Job opening ID9
Roles and responsibilitiesWe are seeking a motivated Data engineer that can develop and maintain software to support data ingestion, process and analysis. The candidate will interact with non-engineers to gather business requirement for building data models to meet client needs. The ideal candidate will be able to attack and solve data problems at a variety of scales to meet consumer requirements and deliver insightful analysis for narrative creation.
Everything that we do at Narrative Science is ultimately driven by data. The Data Scientists and Engineers role is to facilitate the processing of data to generate insights and promote the growth of a resuable, configurable data platform that delivers data to our Editorial staff and Authoring Engine in a way that allows them to generate the best possible narratives.
The data platform is a distributed system on AWS comprised of processing, storage and analysis tools that are composed together to provide data capabilities on a wide variety of scales and depths of analysis. The goal of this system is to be able to onboard a new style or type of data very quickly and efficiently and expose it to an array of powerful analytics tools to search it for valuable insights that can be used downstream.
The role will be a combination of development work to support new platform features, mainly in python and HTTP web services, as well as utilising whatever traditional or NoSQL data storage and analysis systems are required to get the job done. The ability to innovate, analyse problems and iteratively optimise and scale solutions is critical.
- Design, develop, test and deploy your code in our AWS architecture
- Leverage a variety of SQL and NoSQL backends for data storage and analysis
- Communicate data analysis techniques to non-expert consumers of data, so they can produce compelling, insightful narratives
- Expand and grow our data platform capabilities to solve new data problems and challenges
- Contribute in a DevOps role, supporting operations and infrastructure as needed
- Bachelor level STEM degree
Proven capability for critical thinking and problem solving
- Experience using python at a significant level (minimum of 1 year experience or significant project work. Experience in other languages will be considered)
- Significant knowledge of Data Modelling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases.
- Familiarity with OO and functional paradigms.
- SQL/NOSQL experience with schema design and query development
- Expert in python
- Experience with stats and math modeling
- Capable of machine learning
- Familiar with map-reduce and other big-data techniques
- Masters degree or PhD in a field with applicable data analysis skills
- Experience with Web services/REST service
||Chicago, IL |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED