Data Scientist Thumbtack
We're looking for a brilliant individual to form the cornerstone of our data science team here at Thumbtack. Our process gives you full ownership over the projects you tackle: so dream big, then execute well.
- You'll be given the latitude to survey Thumbtack as a business, identify key opportunities, and use any and all available data to draw actionable conclusions that will guide the direction of the company.
- You'll design, implement and launch experiments to test your hypotheses.
- You'll identify and implement metrics that align with company goals.
- You'll contribute to our Python codebase and perform analyses in R or another statistics tool of your choice.
- You'll advise coworkers on the (mis)use of statistics to understand data.
- If we do our job right, the Yellow Pages will be a thing of the past and we'll
introduce real efficiency into the local services market.
Here are a few example projects
- Which markets in our ecosystem are most healthy? Which are least healthy and how can we improve them?
- Are service providers becoming more or less engaged with Thumbtack over time? What's driving these changes?
- Which consumers are most delighted by their Thumbtack experience? What drives the differences and how can we best improve the experience for our users?
- Are some service providers consistenly under- or over-charging for their services? How does that affect consumer behavior? Could we offer advice to help them improve their businesses?
Skills & Requirements
- You're proficient with advanced statistical analysis and machine learning techniques in an environment/tool/language of your choice (we use R and Python/Pandas currently).
- You have a deep understanding of probability and statistics.
- You have the analytical chops to break down big, open-ended problems into manageable pieces, then attack the pieces from a variety of angles, all without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- You're comfortable working with a large, complex code base (we use Python)
- You express yourself clearly and concisely in written and verbal discussion of complex problems.
- This job description resonates with you.
Build the Future at Thumbtack
Ever wonder why you can buy any product you want online with a single click, but you can't hire a DJ, photographer, handyman, house cleaner, or any other service without making a dozen phone calls? So did we.
Thumbtack is making it dramatically easier for consumers to hire local service pros. We have incredible traction, a talented and passionate team, just raised $12.5m from Sequoia, and are excited to be solving a real problem for real people. Come build the future with us.
Why Should You Join Us?
- Incredible Traction: We're now helping millions of consumers a year across the country find the right pro and driving our business owners more than a quarter billion dollars worth of jobs annually. We're just getting started.
- Talented team: Our team is talented, fun, and passionate about what we do.
- Enormous opportunity: Local services are a $500+ billion market and the space is wide open. This is your opportunity to get in at the ground floor of a dent-making company that is solving a real problem for real people.
- Chef-Prepared Food: Our chef prepares lunch and dinner daily in our in-office kitchen. Lunches and Wednesday team dinners are a time to gather around a communal table and invite friends to the office.
- High-Quality Health Care: Health, dental and vision insurance for you and your dependents, with 100% of premiums covered by us. We also cover the membership fee to One Medical so you'll have access to high-quality, modern health care.
- Compensation: Competitive salary and equity, and access to a 401(k) program.
- Flexibility: We believe in working very hard, but we have flexible hours. We don't have a vacation policy.
- Beautiful Office: A beautiful loft office close to the Powell Street Muni and BART, bus lines and Caltrain.
- Great Equipment: Huge monitors and the work environment of your choice, Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, whatever makes you most productive.
- Thumbtack Bucks: $500 when you start and $150 per month thereafter to spend hiring service professionals on Thumbtack.
- Education Reimbursement: $1500/year for books, classes, conferences or other educational expenses to help you gain new skills or expertise.
Ever wonder why you can buy any product online with a single click, but you can't hire a photographer, tutor, contractor, or other local service professional without a dozen phone calls So did we. Thumbtack's mission is to make it dramatically easier to hire services, at the same time empowering independent professionals to grow their businesses.Investors: Javelin
, MHS Capital
, Sequoia Capital All Jobs: at Thumbtack
|Headquarters:||454 Natoma St.|
San Francisco, CA 94103
|Industry:||Consumer Products and Services|
|Company Profile:||Thumbtack is making life easier. Thumbtack delivers multiple quotes from our network of vetted pros within 24 hours. We can help you maintain your home, plan your events, learn new skills, improve your wellness and more across all 50 states. By connecting local professionals directly with new clients, we're empowering more than 250,000 talented pros to grow their businesses. Thumbtack delivers custom quotes from vetted professionals for any service within 24 hours, enabling consumers to effortlessly compare prices and hire the perfect fit.
Come work and grow with great people who care about having a lasting impact.
Check us out - find out more information here:
Support Thumbtack with Social Media services