Database Engineer / Data Management Guru Oceanus
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Oceanus is a boutique software and analytics company. We address some of the most difficult and strategic issues in the automotive industry such as how to launch electric vehicles, and how social media will change car ownership. We are profitable, doubling each year, compensate well, and have great benefits -- including beer on tap.
Our culture is important to us. We make decisions on three simple values:
- Brand: Make our customers, employees and partners love us. We bring start-up enthusiasm, speed, and innovation to the enterprise. We solve hard problems, we are agile, we keep it simple, and we over-deliver.
- Growth: Doubling each year is hard, but interesting--we have to completely change the problems we are tackling and how we approach them. Growth is the challenge that excites us to come into work and allows us to hire and retain the best people.
- Fun. Life is too short to hate your job. We have the luxury of picking what we work on, and we choose what motivates us. Work will sometimes be work, but we try to minimize suck. We have a relaxed, collaborative environment. We celebrate our successes, and sometimes, we just celebrate.
Our business is built on understanding our customers' data more deeply than they do. We have a broad range of web, behavioral, descriptive, financial, and operational data on consumers, companies, and dealers in the automotive industry. Nearly every Oceanus project involves integrating heterogeneous, unstructured data, making sense of it with little help, mining it for insights, and applying it in novel ways to solve business problems.
As our business doubles every year, the complexity of our data warehouse grows even faster.
- We need you to make data management an ever-greater differentiator for Oceanus by:
- Maintaining our dozens of data sources and import schedules and processes to deliver 100% reliability and integrity, even in the face of poor-quality source data
- Applying innovation, intelligence, and heuristic approaches to our ETL rather than standard, fixed brute-force rules
- Continuously enhancing our technology platform and toolsets as new problems arise: building and buying when appropriate
- Becoming a subject matter expert in the data itself, to apply better semantic checks and structure the data more intelligently than anyone else could
- Building an agile version management and production release process for data
- Ensuring our data warehouse scales appropriately as our data sets grow
- Working with our customers to help them develop more agile internal data management processes
We use a range of tools and technologies: SQL Server, Oracle, bash, Perl, Python, SQL, Informatica, etc. We are looking for someone who has a deep understanding of ETL concepts but is not just a DBA or ETL developer, who is not wedded to any particular toolkit, and who is comfortable with programming, algorithmic thinking, automated testing, and pushing the envelope on agile database development and process automation. This position is perfect for a data junkie with a development bent.
- Bachelor's degree in CS, or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years of work history managing complex data sets with novel, fault-tolerant approaches. (Significantly more compensation is available for those with deeper experience.)
- Track record of success in using diverse technologies and approaches to manage data in an extremely dynamic environment.
- Comfort with and commitment to being our technology lead in a critical area of our business.
- Convenient & Modern-retro downtown offices
- Catered team lunches, stocked kitchens, coffee-snob compliant coffee machines
- Great beer on tap, scotch collection, full bar, and regular happy hours
- Small team + Austin startup vibe + large customers />
||Austin, TX 78703 |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED