Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing the top engineers in any given discipline. Our world-class engineering teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone.
* You must have a genuine passion for engineering the best electric vehicles in the world. Without passion, you would find what we're trying to do too difficult.
* You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company.
* We are building real products -- not presentations. This must excite you. You must be a builder. You'll work alongside accomplished, world-renowned engineers on perhaps the most exciting automotive programs in existence today.
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, health benefits, a fun work environment and the chance to make a real contributory impact on the world.
As a Design Engineer of Closures Systems in Tesla's Vehicle Engineering Team, you will have the opportunity to work in diverse areas of automotive body and closure system development for revolutionary Tesla vehicle product lines. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class closure systems terms of form and innovative functionality.
Closure commodity development of particular focus include door modules, power litigate systems, dynamic sealing, closure sheet metal (doors and fenders) and closures hardware including the integration of these commodities into the vehicle architecture. You will utilize your expertise in one or more of these commodities and develop as a full vehicle engineer â€" designing and delivering systems rather than just components as you work with a lean and agile team of the best automotive engineers in the industry. You will report to the Senior Manager of Closures Engineering and this position resides in Tesla's Vehicle Engineering Team.
- Along with Tesla's vehicle engineering team, you will design, release and launch interior components and subsystems which are aligned with program product profile with responsibilities to include.
- Develop and execute closure system requirements for one or more of the aforementioned closure commodities.
- Achieve innovation-driven closure system targets for appearance, function, quality, cost and weight.
- Establish closure system architecture and functional feasibility.
- Participate in the iterative process with the Tesla design/styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form, function and quality.
- Support manufacturing processes and material selections to achieve world class execution of automotive exterior craftsmanship and fit & finish.
- Optimize designs with the appropriate analytical and physical assessments.
- Complete and release interior components, sub-system and detail designs, utilizing a mix of in-house design and supplier engineering where required (In-house designs are planned for most major commodities).
- You will utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the program.
- You will interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design.
- You will collaborate with key interior suppliers and to support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Your will collaborate with cross functional teams within the Tesla Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement groups to ensure closure system manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability.
- You will be responsible for technical documentation to include DFMEAs, DVP&R's.
- You must have a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME preferred) with a minimum of 3 years of experience in automotive closure component and subsystem engineering for serial production in one or more of the following commodities: door modules, power litigate systems, dynamic sealing, closure sheet metal (hood, doors and fenders) and closures hardware.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production and 3D modeling proficiency in CATIA v5.
- You have demonstrated considerable creativity in design and the ability to execute feasible solutions to complex design engineering challenges, displaying a high level of independent judgment.
- You should have in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve systems requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
- You are familiar with or have practical experience in design for six sigma (DFSS) â€" preferably with six sigma certification or have used DFSS methodology in design, validation and/or launch of closures components and systems.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 is essential (minimum of 5000 hours or 3 years) within an automotive product development environment.
- You should have a strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional engineering principles in design.
- You should have strong familiarity with the development of specifications, DFMEAs, DVP&R's and other technical documents.
- You must demonstrate an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout your career.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.