Digital Embedded Systems / Electrical Engineer Quirky
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED The Company:
We are Quirky.
We make invention accessible.
We believe that the best ideas in the world aren't actually in the world--they're locked in people's heads.
We exist to solve that problem.
We're looking for an amazing and passionate Digital Embedded Systems / Electrical Engineer to join our team in NYC.
You can bring an embedded application to life on a day's notice. You are obsessed with keeping your code neatly documented and leave hooks for future changes. You frequently seek input from others when faced with important decisions and think strategically to help prepare Quirky for a move from simple to increasingly complex electronics. (It may be surge protectors one day and robotics the next, the sky's the limit at Quirky).You make an effort to stay up to date on the latest embedded technologies and are constantly looking to improve your capabilities. You strive to look for opportunities to improve the performance and reliability of everything you touch. You put yourself in the shoes of the product user and abuser in order to define and test all scenarios. You can write code for hours on end yet are not shy to be an active participant in brainstorming discussions with others (with both technical and nontechnical staff). You thrive in an environment where there are no walls and prefer to over-communicate and think out loud, raising concerns and bouncing ideas off of others at any time.
As a Digital Embedded Systems / Electrical Engineer, you will:
- Be a member of Quirky's Product team, reporting directly to Quirky's Head of Engineering,
Research & Development (acting Head of Product)
- Assist in the specification of embedded hardware (especially microcontrollers and wireless
- Devise and execute comprehensive test plans to emulate use and abuse scenarios (both firmware
- Engage with designers and the community team early to comment on invention feasibility and
build our capabilities as needed.
- Write firmware in C and / or interpreted language for microcontroller enabled hardware
(everything from battery packs to wearable consumer devices)
- Evaluate and configure short range wireless transceivers at the module or system level (no need
to have a PhD in RF design)
- Work and collaborate closely with our creative and design teams to clearly define product
behavior and functionality (as an engineer you are able to think about feasibility on the fly)
- Clearly document firmware behavior and support the development of specifications
- 3+ Years of experience (or exceptional project related school work) related to firmware
development and the design, specification and testing of embedded hardware
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- Experience writing microcontroller firmware in C (MSP430 and Atmel / AVR experience are a
- Experience designing digital hardware for consumer electronics
- Understanding of microcontroller power management modes and how to design for low power
applications a plus (internal vs. external oscillator selection, wake on interrupt, etc...)
- Experience working with serial protocols (I2C, one wire, etc...)
- Experience with radio integration and protocols (At least one of the following: ANT/ANT+,
- Basic understanding of RF a plus (antenna selection, EMI, desense, etc...)
- Methodical debugging skills (knowledge of techniques such as FMEA are a plus)
- Knows how to leverage online and offline resources for answers when stuck (can scour Google,
datasheets, documentation, forums, contact support representatives, other Quirky staff, etc...)
- Basic soldering, prototyping, test and measurement experience (methodical test and
measurement skills are desired)
- Joint development model (JDM) experience managing outsourced schematic and pcb layout
capture with vendors in Asia
- Well rounded understanding of making cost and time to market design trade-offs, risk mitigation
- Experience with regulatory compliance a plus
- Ability to work nights and weekends to support accelerated product development schedules from
concept to ex-factory in 3 or 4 months
- Unrelenting intellectual curiosity and pride in doing awesome work
- An entrepreneurial spirit
- STRONG documentation skills writing specs, test plans, in code commentary and flow charts.
- Action and detail oriented
- Willingness to travel to vendor sites in Asia
- Passion for what we are building at Quirky
Send a personalized cover letter to Nathan Meryash explaining why you would be a great fit for this role and what you can offer Quirky (within and beyond the job description). Send a resume in PDF or doc format highlighting education and experience. A video or detailed description of one or more microcontroller based projects you have personally developed is strongly encouraged.
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
We Make Invention Accessible
20 - 50M RaisedInvestors: FreshTracks Capital
, Norwest Venture Partners
, RRE Ventures All Jobs: at Quirky
|Industry:||Consumer Products and Services|
|Company Profile:||For centuries, becoming an "inventor" has been a hard gig to crack. Complexities relating to financing, engineering, distribution, and legalities have stood in the way of brilliant people executing on their great ideas.
Since launching in 2009, Quirky has rapidly changed the way the world thinks about product development.
We bring two brand new consumer products to market each week, by enabling a fluid conversation between a global community and Quirky's expert product design staff.
The world influences our business in real-time, and we share our revenue directly with the people who helped us make successful decisions.|
Support Quirky with Social Media services