About Tesla Motors, Inc.
Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility. Palo Alto, California-based Tesla designs and manufactures Electric Vehicles and EV powertrain components for large automobile manufacturers such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered more than 2,350 Roadsters to customers worldwide. Model S, the first premium sedan to be built from the ground up as an electric vehicle, began deliveries in June 2012.
This position will develop and execute on government affairs and public policy strategy in China in close coordination with Tesla senior executives in the United States and the China Country Manager. This position will represent and advance the policy goals and values of the company to Chinese government officials at both the central government and provincial levels, establish relationships with key officials, participate in major associations and organizations related to policy and advocacy, provide leadership on policy issues affecting the business, and contribute to and support the company strategy with regard to its China business. Among the policy issues currently contemplated are matters involving China's type approval requirements for imported electrical vehicle (EV), charging infrastructure regulations, EV incentives, regulations for new business model (auto financing, car rental, car sharing, etc.), EV standardizations, etc.
- Manage day-to-day communications with Chinese ministries, government officials, industry associations; manage internal cross-functional communications to coordinate execution of any cross-functional policy initiatives.
- Establish relationships with key officials in certain ministries in China central government, targeted provincial government officials, and key industry associations. Coordinate and manage company interaction with such officials, including executive engagements.
- Provide government affairs support in relation to sales opportunities and new business models for EV, such as auto financing, car rental, car sharing.
- Stay apprised of business goals and strategies in order to assess the impact to Chinese EV policy and regulatory developments.
- Stay abreast of policy developments of importance to the business; advise management team on such developments; consult and coordinate with company stakeholders to establish consensus on policy priorities , and formulate strategies and action plans to achieve objectives.
- Participate in and manage Tesla's role in industry associations, coalitions, and other organizations related to EV policy and advocacy to advance company policy objectives, foster strong relationships with like-minded companies-both within and beyond the technology community-to strengthen support for policy objectives, such as EV type approval requirements, key standards, charging infrastructure regulations, EV incentives.
- Lead the implementation of governmental demonstration programs and partnership projects.
- Manage and interacts with outside professionals and legal counsel.
- Support license compliance program and advise LC group about effective and appropriate strategies in China.
- Support compliance with all applicable laws, including Chinese and US laws relating to ethics, government relations.
- Develop and Manage the China government affairs team.
- Bachelor's Degree from a highly-accredited university.
- 7+ years of working experience with an international company in a Government Relations, Public Policy, or related function.
- Good knowledge of Chinese government/political system; profound understanding and experience of Chinese automotive and EV industry is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage public policy issues, navigate Chinese government bureaucracy, and effectively advocate before government officials.
- Strong business acumen.
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills.
- Strength in written and verbal communication in both English and Mandarin.
- Have developed good working relationships with senior level officials in SAIC, NDRC, MofCom and MIIT (and MoT preferred) whilst with another MNC preferably another automotive manufacturer/importer
- Extensive knowledge of EV technology, EV market, and EV policy in China a strong plus.
- Experience with a US or European multi-national corporate setting a plus.
Reporting structure: This position directly reports to China Country Manager.
Tesla is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local laws.