Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered over 15,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries. Model S is the world's first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Model S was named Motor Trend's prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA, and Consumer Reports is calling it the best car it has ever tested.
Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing top talent from across the world for any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone, you must have a genuine passion for producing the best vehicles in the world. Without passion, you will find what we're trying to do too difficult.
The Design Engineer for Body-in-White is responsible for engineering best-in-class body structure architectures and systems for Tesla's premium vehicle programs.
- Create and develop Body-in-White component and system requirements and specifications to achieve best-in-class structural, NVH and crash performance
- Create vehicle-aligned component and system targets for function, cost, weight and investment
- Establish system architecture and functional feasibility
- Develop design concepts and production designs in CATIA V5
- Optimize the concepts and designs with analytical and physical assessments, ensuring conformation to federal regulations governing assigned systems
- Complete and release system, sub-system and detail designs
- Deliver world-class craftsmanship and fit/finish
- Support creation of component specification, component DFMEA, DVP&R and other technical design documents
- Release parts for production in the PLM system
- Interface with suppliers for manufacturing feasibility, validation, and other engineering activities as specified for the assigned commodity. Note that in most cases, Tesla Vehicle Engineering will design commodities in-house.
- Create (with component/system supplier) component and subsystem design verification plans and test methods
- Complete component and system validation as required, insuring system targets are met and optimized
- Support vehicle milestones, build events, and launch the product successfully
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical Engineering
- 3 years minimum experience in Automotive Body Design and Engineering
- Minimum of 1 full development BIW life cycle through design, development, release and launch
- High proficiency in CATIA V5
- Understanding of GD&T in Design Engineering
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs
- Ability to interpret CAE results and integrate recommendations into product designs
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects with tight timing constraints
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and lightweight, recyclable and sustainable materials (aluminum preferred)
- Experience in DFSS highly preferred
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
|Headquarters:||1050 Bing Street|
San Carlos, CA 94070
|Industry:||Cleantech / Energy|