Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered over 15,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries. Model S is the world's first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Model S was named Motor Trend's prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA, and Consumer Reports is calling it the best car it has ever tested.
Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing the top engineers in any given discipline. Our world-class engineering teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone.
- You must have a genuine passion for engineering the best electric vehicles in the world. Without passion, you would find what we're trying to do too difficult.
- You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company.
- We are building real products -- not presentations. This must excite you. You must be a builder.
- You'll work alongside accomplished, world-renowned engineers on perhaps the most exciting automotive programs in existence today.
- As a Project Engineer with our CAE team, you will play a critical role through the design and development of Tesla products. You will analyze and optimize revolutionary vehicle designs never before executed, enabled by innovative clean-sheet design methodology and Tesla's innovative EV architecture. You will contribute by:
- Developing full vehicle crash and occupant safety FE models for analysis and optimization of revolutionary vehicle architectures in collaboration with a small team of multi-disciplinary engineers
- And/or development of occupant safety models using Madymo for analysis and optimization of restraint systems
- Provide detailed design direction needed to achieve US NCAP and EURO NCAP 5 star ratings while achieving cost and mass targets
- Managing precise model versioning and alignment with CAD enabling speed and efficiency in iteration
- Supporting world-class engineering teams with design direction based on your analyses
- Performing analysis for feasibility for manufacturing, assembly and service processes
- Providing input in the creation of component specification, component DFMEA, and other technical design documents where analysis plays a pivotal role
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering required, Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 2 years of demonstrated successful experience in Finite Element Analysis, Applied Solid Mechanics and Numerical Methods within an automotive product development environment
- Excellent applied software experience in LS DYNA and/or MADYMO, additional experience in RADIOSS, OPTISTRUCT, ModeFrontier and ABAQUS beneficial.
- Pre-processor experience in Hyperworks or ANSA
- Experience with Aluminum structures in at least one product development lifecycle is preferred
- Demonstrated ability in iterative and collaborative automotive engineering environments (at least 1 vehicle programs) â€" success in roles requiring high levels of technical communication and interpretation of analytical results to Design Engineers and Technical Management.
- Strong preference (but not required) for experience in 3D CAD modeling - CATIA v5 and v6
- Demonstrated ability to deliver analysis on difficult projects with tight timing constraints
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.