Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered over 15,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries. Model S is the world's first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Model S was named Motor Trend's prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA, and Consumer Reports is calling it the best car it has ever tested.
Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing top talent from across the world for any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone, you must have a genuine passion for producing the best vehicles in the world. Without passion, you will find what we're trying to do too difficult.
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, health benefits, a fun work environment and the chance to make a real contributory impact on the world.
Design Engineer â€" Air Suspension Systems
The Design Engineer â€" Air Suspension Systems is responsible for technical design and development of air suspension components and systems, in support of future model year vehicle programs. This role will work closely with the rest of the Chassis team to insure the air suspension system performs as expected as a part of the larger overall chassis system. The initial focus of this position will be to design mechanical components within vehicle space for new vehicles. Interface with other engineering teams is critical to insure proper packaging of performance of components. Throughout the development cycle of new vehicles, this role will also become involved in various other activities such as vehicle testing, manufacturing trials, and quality assessments. You will also be exposed to, and be expected to participate in the engineering activities related to the electro-mechanical components of the air suspension system, (valves, compressors, height sensors, etcâ€¦).
- Drive the design of air suspension components and systems that are aligned with best-in-class handling and comfort product profiles
- Drive the creation and execution of component and subsystem design verification plans and test methods
- Perform CAD and CAE operations in Catia v5
- Optimize concepts and designs within the vehicle package space
- Generate engineering data (models, drawings, specs) to allow manufacture of these designs
- Participate in the sourcing process and interface with the supply chain team and suppliers as required
- Insure the proper application of new designs on prototype vehicle builds
- Establish manufacturing, assembly and service feasibility
- Complete and release system, sub-system and detail designs
- Complete component and system validation, ensuring performance targets are met
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (ME preferred)
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in design engineering in an automotive environment
- Preference for experience with engineering production-level sport/luxury vehicles
- Proficiency in CATIA v5 3D modeling
- Experience following product design from cradle to grave
- Experience in optimization of components for weight reduction, improved NVH, and reduced energy consumption
- Preference for hands-on experience in suspension system test and development activities
- Knowledge of and experience with air suspension systems preferred
|Headquarters:||1050 Bing Street|
San Carlos, CA 94070
|Industry:||Cleantech / Energy|