Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered more than 2,400 Roadsters to customers worldwide and received more than 13,000 reservations for Model S. Model S, the world's first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle, began deliveries to U.S. customers in June of this year and was named Motor Trend's prestigious 2013 Car of the Year.
As an Engineer â€" Exterior Systems in Tesla's Vehicle Engineering Team, you will be responsible for design, release and launch of the body engineering, and exterior trim componentry for future Tesla vehicle product lines. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world class exterior body systems in terms of both styling and function.
Exterior component of particular importance include bumper energy management systems, active exterior louvers, ducting and air extractors, aero shields, wheel liners, ornamentation and badging, rocker panels, aprons along with the integration of these parts into the vehicle. You will utilize your expertise in one or more of these commodities and develop as a full vehicle engineer â€" designing and delivering entire systems rather than just components as you work with a lean and agile team of the best automotive engineers in the industry. You will report to the Engineering Manager of Exterior Systems.
- Design of automotive component parts in CATIA V5.
- Develop and execute exterior system requirements for the fascia commodities.
- Participate in the iterative process with the Tesla design/styling studio to deliver the optimal balance of form vs. function vs. cost vs. weight.
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the program
- Interpret CAE simulation results and integrate recommendations into product design.
- Collaborate with key exterior system and plastic component suppliers and support overall vehicle development milestones and prototype/production build events.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams within the Tesla Vehicle Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Procurement groups to ensure exterior system manufacturing and assembly feasibility and serviceability.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME preferred) with a minimum of 4 years of experience in automotive exterior trim component and subsystem engineering, demonstrating technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production and 3D modeling proficiency in CATIA V5.
- Product experience in body structures, bumper/fascia systems, body hardware mechanisms, lighting, or exterior ornamentation.
- Expertise in material selection, design procedures, manufacturing techniques and assembly methods as required for optimizing designs for polymeric/plastic automotive components, including compliance.
- Organization experience in product development engineering, Tier I supplier engineering, other OEM experience, studio engineering & development, production launch.
- Demonstrated ability in automotive product design in exterior trim including high collaboration across vehicle systems to achieve optimum layout, packaging and feasibility.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 (minimum of 5,000 hours or 3 years) within an automotive product development environment. Experience with other 3D packages will be considered in certain instances, if relevant automotive engineering experience is exemplary.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with GD&T and dimensional controls.
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full lifecycle vehicle programs to include DVO&R and DFMEA.
- Experience in at least 1 full lifecycle vehicle program utilizing DFSS methodologies during the design, validation and launch phases.
- Understands roles and needs of different client groups; evidence of working effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve results.
- Demonstrated an ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout career.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.