Tesla Motors is seeking technically qualified and highly motivated engineers in the field of Automotive Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning. This Engineer position reports to the Manager of Climate and Thermal Systems Engineering. Qualified individuals will be responsible for coordinating with Tesla Motor vehicle teams and world class automotive suppliers to produce heating and cooling systems with optimum efficiency, performance, reliability and safety.
- The successful candidate for this position must have an automotive engineering background emphasizing Thermodynamics and Psychrometrics, coupled with the ability to work with other Tesla Motors Engineering teams, Quality, Service, Manufacturing, Purchasing organizations, as well as world class automotive suppliers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement to establish effective working relationships within Tesla Motors and outside organizations.
- Develop system level requirements based on vehicle level requirements and industry benchmarks of competitor vehicles.
- Lead creation of component specification, component DFMEA, and other technical design documents
- Ensure design is feasible for manufacturing and service processes, meeting goals for reliability and maintainability
- Support reliability & warranty cost modeling to provide proactive feedback to Quality teams
- Participate in design reviews to assure HVAC subsystem considerations are being addressed.
- Manage system level metrics for performance, weight, cost, noise/NVH, power consumption, and reliability
- Participate in sourcing process as required
- Create and execute component and subsystem design verification plans and test methods to validate performance to requirements
- Support system and vehicle architecture team meetings
- Serve as main technical interface with HVAC system and component suppliers
- Manage suppliers and projects to ensure timely program deliverables within budget
- Ensure product conforms to all federal motor vehicle safety standards governing HVAC operation
- Support vehicle development milestones and build events
- Approve and Release components for vehicle build
Skills and Qualifications
- BS, MS or PhD in aerospace or mechanical engineering
- 4 years minimum experience in automotive heating and cooling engineering, air conditioning experience preferred
- Working knowledge of vapor compression cycles and components
- Working knowledge of psychrometrics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and thermal management
- Experience with CFD and 1-D network flow solver codes.
- Ability to work in diverse and co-located teams
- Excellent communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage novel and difficult projects with tight timing constraints
- Passion for alternative energy automobiles and energy efficiency
|Headquarters:||1050 Bing Street|
San Carlos, CA 94070
|Industry:||Cleantech / Energy|