Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
This role will be to work as a member of Tesla's Vehicle Test Group to support vehicle level testing for Safety and Homologation tests performed in-house and at external test labs. The primary objective of this role is to conduct vehicle level tests in accordance with test plans and test procedures, and to communicate test results cross-functionally to internal and external development and validation teams. Additionally, this role will actively participate in the design, development, and buildup of in-house laboratory test capabilities. The successful candidate for this position must have a broad background in automotive testing and machine design.
- Develop and validate Tesla test methods and procedures for structural and safety regulatory and non-regulatory testing
- Design and Develop test equipment to perform according to regulatory standards and internal Tesla methods and procedures
- Create and manage project plans, budgets, and resource allocations
- Instrument and/or oversee the instrumentation of vehicles and/or components for data acquisition during tests, including accelerometers, load cells, pressure transducers, displacement transducers, etc.
- Conduct Homologation tests at external and in-house test facilities according to regulatory standards and Tesla's internal test procedures
- Record and analyze data
- Conduct and/or oversee pre- and post-test vehicle and component inspections
- Author test reports to communicate results and observations from tests conducted to a cross-functional audience
- Initiate corrective action to rectify unintended or undesirable performance discovered during testing
- Conduct countermeasure validation testing to approve corrective action resolution
- Participate in design reviews to contribute to the definition of and validation strategy of vehicle safety systems behavior
- Participate in program reviews to provide feedback on vehicle performance for go/no-go decisions
- Work with internal and external engineers and suppliers to evaluate the test performance of components and systems for development and validation
- Experience with using data acquisition systems (DTS, VBOX, SOMAT, LabView) for data collection
- Experience in post-processing test data using DTS and National Instruments (DIAdem) software
- Demonstrated ability in the design of machines and/or machine components, including hydraulic, pneumatic, and/or electro-mechanical systems
- Strong background in CAD software (CATIA preferred)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Effectively manage multiple projects and priorities to meet aggressive deadlines
- Experience working cross-functionally to drive product development
- Experience working with third party automotive testing laboratories
- Ability to work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals
- Maintain top level professional integrity and appearance
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to operate a wide variety of hand and power tools, shop tools, diagnostic scan tools, scopes, meters, and other test equipment
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, parts, tools and materials used in vehicle maintenance
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- A minimum of 3 years of automotive safety testing experience
- Must have a valid driver's license
Candidates must have the ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally (Up to 30%)
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.