Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing the top engineers in any given discipline. Our world-class engineering teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone.
- You must have a genuine passion for engineering the best electric vehicles in the world. Without passion, you would find what we're trying to do too difficult.
- You must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial company.
- We are building real products -- not presentations. This must excite you. You must be a builder. You'll work alongside accomplished, world-renowned engineers on perhaps the most exciting automotive programs in existence today.
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, health benefits, a fun and fulfilling work environment and the chance to make a real contributory impact on the world.
Engineering Leader: Vehicle Closures
As the leader of Closures Engineering, you will drive the design, development and execution of some of the most complex vehicle systems in Tesla's products. Closures Engineering in Tesla includes Front and Rear Doors, Liftgate, Hood, Fenders, Closures Hardware (latching mechanisms, hinges, checks, etc), Moveable Glass and Dynamic Sealing. You will lead an amazing team of engineers and experts in the creation of super progressive closures systems which help define and differentiate Tesla's world class products.
- Direct leadership of a team of engineers with both specialized technical skill as well as outstanding fundamental engineering aptitude
- Drive design engineering and studio collaboration to establish closures system architecture and to negotiate and achieve aggressive styling concepts while meeting cost, weight, function and manufacturability targets
- Guide creative closure design and development engineering activities to meet current and emerging safety requirements for domestic and global markets
- Lead world-class sealing development (including body mounted components) to optimize and balance, gap/flush, closing effort targets and wind noise targets which are magnified in EV architectures
- Lead development engineering efforts to include DFMEA's, DVP&R and other technical documentation
- Utilize DFSS methodologies throughout the design, development, validation and launch phases
- Serve as the technical leader and principal management interface representing Closures Engineering within the Vehicle Engineering organization, to Executive Leadership and with leaders within the supply base
- Integrate development activities across engineering teams in Tesla to include but not limited to: BIW, Moveable Roof, Exterior Systems, Electro-Mechanical and Firmware
- Minimum of 15 years experience in automotive Closures System Engineering, preferably at the OEM or Tier 1 supplier levels and for luxury vehicle programs
- In-depth technical experience with progressive automotive closure technologies to include high-end door handle and latching systems, electromechanical technologies requiring complex firmware and body controllers
- Minimum of 5 years of successful experience in a leadership role through a minimum of 2 complete automotive lifecycles, concept to launch; demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire high performance with measurable results in extreme environments with significant technical challenges
- Portfolio of personal engineering feats and/or accomplishments that demonstrate exceptional technical ingenuity and the ability to execute novel concepts through to manufacturing production
- Strong preference for experience (>1 product lifecycle) in executing luxury vehicles with super aggressive craftsmanship, gap/flush and fit/finish appearance targets
- Proven ability in cross-disciplinary leadership and collaboration (mechanical, electronic, electromechanical, firmware) to execute complex closure systems
- Keen ability to negotiate and iterate with product development and engineering functions such as styling, CAE, NVH, Test/Validation, etc
- Proficiency in CATIA v5 is highly preferred
- Minimum BSME from an accredited engineering institution