Engineering Manager - Platform (Sprout Social) Sprout Social
In this role, you will work on the Platform Team as a manager and contributor, working to design, code, and grow our backend services, and to nurture our growing team. We have a strong focus on scale, reliability, performance and product agility, and that means picking the right tool for the job, while being pragmatic and scrappy. We hire strong platform engineers who build services in Python and Java using technologies like Cassandra, Redis, NSQ, and MySQL. Our software is used by more than 17,000 brands around the world. Companies like Dropbox, Zendesk, Fender, Zipcar and Evernote rely on Sprout to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media. Our engineers create the products to help make this possible.
Embedded as a member of one of our engineering squads, you will be part of the day-to-day Agile development environment. Part of this will be supporting and developing other members of the team - conducting regular check-ins, providing career and professional support, coaching and advising, conducting performance reviews, etc. While you should be excited about writing production-level code, we want you to be equally excited about the trajectory of your team and your part in forming them as stellar software engineers.
We're looking for smart, creative, driven people to build great software with us. If you're the best at what you do, we'd love to talk.
Relocation is offered for this role, if applicable.
You want to solve hard problems? Here are some of ours--..
- Today our customers receive 4x more social messages than from just one year ago! Scale that.
- One of our largest customers received 33.5 million social messages in only a 90-day period! Store that.
- On average, we process roughly 1,000 social events every single second. Scope that.
- How much social data do we store? Try 75 terabytes among multiple databases. Analyze that.
- In 2015 we saw 384 deployments and changes to our Web application. That averages out to 1.5 deployments per business day! Maintain that.
- In addition to functional coding responsibility, you will also have the managerial responsibility to support the careers of fellow software engineers
- Promote and nurture good team practices such as TDD, code reviews, and pair programming
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling our systems
- Act as a leader in a matrix organization of over 50 engineers
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas and approaches
- Proactively mentor junior and mid-career engineers
- Support and enhance the Sprout Social culture
- Drive your direct reports to build in Sprout's best interests by being cognizant of business requirements, market need, customer pains, etc.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Smart, organized, and clear written and verbal communicator
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or comparable knowledge of CS theory
- Minimum of 5 years of software development experience at scale
- Minimum of 2 years of management experience in a software environment, preferably a high-growth, SaaS company
- History with lower-level languages (such as Java, C, C++)
- Heavy SQL and NoSQL database experience
- Strong applied knowledge of concurrency, I/O and distributed systems
- Experience with every stage of software development process: design, architecture, deployment, code reviews, maintenance, documentation, etc.
- Previous experience in fostering and growing a strong engineering culture in an Agile and DevOps environment
- Excellent leadership, project & logistics management, and people mentoring skills
Note: When applying please submit your favorite code samples and/or Github profile
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We're proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team's shared belief in Sprout's mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago's Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is unable to provide H-1B sponsorship.
Sprout Social is changing the way businesses communicate.Investors: Lightbank
, NEA All Jobs: at Sprout Social
|Headquarters:||131 S Dearborn, 7th Floor|
Chicago, IL 60603
|Company Profile:||At Sprout Social, we embrace and revel in the fact that social media is a crucial component of brand and customer relationships. Our team of dedicated engineers, marketers, designers, product specialists and customer service professionals work tirelessly for our customers. Team Sprout also boasts a quirky and culturally diverse combination of personal characteristics and interests. From foodies to fearless travelers to amateur photographers, we share our stories and enrich each other's lives through teamwork, healthy competition and mutual respect. A sustained love of all things social guides us, day after day. Founded in 2010, Sprout is a private company backed by the venture funds of NEA and Lightbank.|
Support Sprout Social with Social Media services