Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
This position is within the Reliability Engineering team, supporting electrical reliability testing. The role requires exceptional communication skills in order to work with various teams. Also requires organizational skills to manage and streamline the flow of parts into various electrical tests.
- Design and build wiring harnesses to support electrical testing of components. Integrate various inputs based on schematics, wiring diagrams, test requirements, and engineering guidance into testable solutions.
- Design and build test fixtures. Devise new ways of fixturing parts for better test efficiency. This requires applying knowledge of how parts are used in the vehicle in order to simulate test cases accurately. Create a database of test fixture designs where all related documentation is captured for quick replication of the fixtures when needed.
- Utilize various test resources (thermal shock chamber, temperature and humidity chamber, salt fog chamber, vibration table etc) in order to set up, run and monitor several series of electrical reliability tests.
- Provide clear and concise documentation related to tests, including reports on parts under test and their status. Capture identified failures in detail and work with engineering to facilitate resolution.
- Assist in pre-inspection and post-test inspection of test articles.
- Assist in the facilitation of the failure analysis process by providing detailed information surrounding failures in test articles.
- Work with various design teams to schedule the flow of new parts into testing.
- Troubleshoot and debug issues with test equipment.
- Maintain stock of supplies to support a lean and streamlined test environment.
- Maintain and expand a clean, safe and organized working environment. Apply workplace organization concepts and methods to improve efficiency, such as 5S.
- Experience with LabVIEW, digital and analog interfaces for PCs, test systems, etc.
- Associate degree in electronics/ electrical or similar discipline preferred
- Basic understanding of electrical and electronic circuits and components
- Experience in R&D electronics environment or electrical testing lab
- Experience in supporting Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT) a huge plus
- Experience working with high voltage products is a plus
- Knowledge of vehicle electrics and electronics
- Soldering and electronics fabrication skills.
- Mechanical fabrication skills.
- Strong sense of quality and craft in work.
- Skilled in using volt meters, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers, programmable power suppliers.
- Experience with network protocols is a plus: CAN, LIN, I2C, Ethernet, etc.
- Ability to read and create mechanical drawings and schematics.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.