About Tesla Motors:
Tesla Motors is a small, public company in the San Francisco Bay Area. We design and manufacture advanced electric vehicles, battery packs, and drive systems and are changing the future of transportation. We are building technically strong, fast-moving teams that pride themselves on superior execution.
Environmental Health and Safety Engineer
Powertrain Manufacturing Engineering
The Environmental Health and Safety Engineer is responsible for complex technical work in a wide range of EH&S disciplines. By developing, implementing and maintaining programs, the EH&S Engineer will help create and streamline the systems and procedures necessary to ensure the overall health and safety of Tesla employees for North American Service Centers. The overall charter is achieving compliance within the company's and regulatory agencies' standards in each of these disciplines. The ideal candidate works well on both self-initiated projects and those driven by concerns and issues reported by co-workers. The ideal candidate also takes pride in his/her analytical abilities, organization skills and attention to detail. He/She appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded. This position will involve some travel up to 30%.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with Local, State and Federal health and safety regulations.
- Develop, implement, and maintain EH&S policies, plans, and procedures.
- Apply technical expertise to the proper maintenance of the work environment in accordance
with Local, State and Federal regulations.
- Responsible for matters related to environmental permitting (air, water, waste), safety,
compliance monitoring, reporting, and auditing.
- Interface with various regulatory agencies while hosting, documenting, responding to and
tracking audits and inspections.
- Drive continuous improvement programs.
- Review and maintain records of materials and chemicals used in vehicle shops.
- Create and maintain EPA ID numbers for NA Service Centers.
- Maintain HMBP's and MSDS's for facilities.
- Responsible for managing waste streams and understanding hazardous waste disposal and
transportation regulations and requirements, including interpreting and ensuring
compliance with environmental and transportation laws and regulations.
- Interface with Local, State and Federal regulatory agencies on complex permitting and
- Responsible for site air & water permit applications, notifications for projects or
modifications; regulatory report submissions and interaction with agencies for permit
compliance implementation plans.
- Develop and maintain refrigerant management program.
Health & Safety:
- Provide technical expertise to Service Center health and safety procedures.
- Lead and document accident/incident investigations to determine root cause, prevention
and corrective measures.
- Develop, implement, and manage safety programs (LOTO, Hazard Communication,
Emergency Response, Fall Protection, Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation, etc.) to
ensure compliance with OSHA and applicable environmental standards at multiple locations.
- Conduct trainings on the safety programs listed above.
- Maintain OSHA injury logs for all NA Sales and Service Centers.
- Incorporate ergonomics in the workplace and conduct Job Hazard Analysis as required.
- Recommend changes in policies, procedures, work environment and equipment to prevent
accidents and illnesses.
Skills and Experience:
- 3+ years of experience in a similar manufacturing/industrial environment.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Environmental Studies, Chemistry or equivalent.
- Superior knowledge of OSHA policies.
- EH&S Certification in one or more specific fields is preferred.
- Practical, hands-on experience with the following:
1. Electrical/High Voltage Safety
2. Compliance Initiatives
3. Program/Process Implementation
- Knowledge of Local, State and Federal regulatory agencies and requirements.
- Experience with training and education of company employees in safety/health initiatives.
- Experience with emergency preparedness and crisis management.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure while managing competing
demands and tight deadlines.
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio.
|Headquarters:||1050 Bing Street|
San Carlos, CA 94070
|Industry:||Cleantech / Energy|