Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer
Quality Assurance | Hawthorne, CA, United States
Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology and engineering systems in the world.
We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced environment focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering. We build it, test it, and fly it.
Develop, implement and maintain site specific environmental policies
Conducts and/or coordinates employee safety and environmental training programs and emergency response training drills
- Responsible for hazardous and non-hazardous waste management, including DOT and RCRA
- Performs environmental compliance and due diligence audits
- Prepare and update Spill Prevention Control Countermeasures (SPCC) plans as required
- Review and interpret new and proposed environmental laws and regulations, and provide guidance to management
- Conduct and monitor the NPDES and other discharge permits/plans
- Coordinate waste characterization and profiling
- Monitor, track and ensure company EPA hazardous waste records are completed accordingly
Develop, implement and maintain site specific safety policies
Inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment in order to identify and correct potential hazards
- Develop and maintain all processes as outlined by the OSHA and EPA RMP EPCRA/CERCLA standards
- Consults with site management to develop, determine implementation schedule and operational requirements related to the site specific safety policies
- Collaborates with management to complete job hazard analysis and PPE assessments
- Monitor employee exposure to job and chemical hazards
- Recommend process and product safety features that will reduce employees' exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work hazards.
- Develop and implement the site Industrial Hygiene program
- Develop recommendations for remedial actions when safety policies are not met by employees
Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations relating to our industry
Develop community relationships with local, state and federal entities such as: police departments, police chiefs, emergency medical teams, city officials, etcâ€¦
Complete and maintain required safety logs and reports
Develop, implement and maintain safety contingency plans (fires, spills, etc.)
- Maintains plant safety statistics and submits reports of performance as requested
- Coordinate all work with sub-contractors to prepare Title V permit applications, compliance reports, and monitoring reports
- Follow-up reporting of spills and releases
- Investigate industrial accidents, injuries, or occupational diseases to determine causes and preventive measures.
- Report or review findings from accident investigations, facilities inspections and environmental testing.
Develop a proactive approach and project plan to preventing and solving workplace safety issues
Purchase and maintain site personal protective equipment
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree is required with an emphasis in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Engineering, preferred; or equivalent industry experience
- 8 or more years of experience in the design, development and general operational oversight of environmental, health and safety disciplines required;
- Experience with emergency response crews in incidents involving hazardous and non-hazardous material releases to air, soil and water, is a plus
- Applicants should have demonstrated a strong propensity for hands-on work and attention to detail in either academic or career pursuits. Other specific requirements or desired skills are as follows:
- Strong knowledge and experience in interpreting, applying and documenting federal, state and local safety; transportation and environmental regulations
- Generalist knowledge in Environmental Hazards and Safety disciplines with experience in safety, ergonomics, environmental compliance and industrial hygiene required
- Knowledge of specific Federal and State environmental laws and regulations required
- Ability to multi-task, to manage shifting priorities and to follow through on projects with minimal supervision, required
- Strong organizational and communication skills are essential
- Software/Computer Skills and Required Skill Level:
- Windows 2000/XP, Intermediate
- Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook), Intermediate
Additional position information
- Overall mental fitness
- The ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||Hawthorne, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED