Ground Segment Engineer (Communications) SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Ground Segment Engineer (Communications)
Launch Engineering | Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology and engineering systems in the world.
We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced environment focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering. We build it, test it, and fly it.
- The Ground Segment Engineer provides planning, design, installation, testing, maintenance, and operation support for all ground-side communications for our SpaceX Dragon Spacecraft and Falcon line of Launch Vehicles.
- Provide interface and support for a world-wide network of telemetry, tracking, and control ground stations
- Integrate SpaceX systems with NASA's data relay satellite network, flight control voice/video systems and data servers
- Configuration, operation and maintenance of satellite ground station antennas and sub systems with an emphasis on automation
- Test prime and redundancy equipment on a regular basis, maintain logs and sufficient spares
- Perform real-time ground segment operations according to timeline, procedures and flight rules
- Perform pre-mission and post-mission analysis
- Develop link budgets and other engineering related to system capacity
- Perform frequency coordination and update site certificates as needed
- Design and deploy communication systems upgrades
- Design, development, and test of the communication infrastructure
- Work closely with RF group to brainstorm how to design systems so they will function properly from a systems point of view and act as an independent verification on designs
- Interface with external partners (private and government) to define control hardware and software interfaces for ground-to-space and ground-to-ground communication systems
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineer, Electrical Engineering, or similar technical area of study; must have strong first principals knowledge of RF Electronics, Communication Systems, and Electromagnetic Theory
- Demonstrated hands-on professional experience in ground-side spacecraft communications ideally focused on both the design and build-out of the communications infrastructure as well as the real-time on-console operation of these systems
- Strong understanding of end-to-end ground station systems: Antennas, Link Budgets, RF Front-End Equipment, Back-End Telemetry Tracking and Control Systems, Communication Hardware, Monitor and Control Centers, and Station General Support Systems
- Previous experience dealing with communications for LEO/MEO satellites
- Experience developing and executing test procedures, setting up and deploying test equipment, and creating software tools to automate these functions
- Knowledge of ground subsystems, ground station infrastructure, and data transport
- Knowledge of IP networks and related data equipment
- Knowledge of Linux systems
- Previous experience with S and K Band Communications
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in the commercial electronics/telecommunications industries or commercial satellite industry
- National/International telecommunications regulations knowledge
- Previous experience with TDRSS
- Experience with voice and/or audio communication systems
- Proficient in STK, Matlab or a similar program
- Experience operating and programming software-defined radios
- Interest and experience operation ham radios or an amateur radio license plus
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||Hawthorne, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED