Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
The International Tax Director will be primarily responsible for overall foreign tax operations including tax planning and strategy, international tax compliance, tax audits, transfer pricing policies and procedures and tax accounting matters affecting foreign operations. This senior level position is considered the lead functional and technical expert at Tesla for all international tax matters. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of corporate tax policies and procedures that have international tax implications, the development of strategic plans in cross-border transactions, and analyzing a wide range of business transactions to understand and recommend the optimal tax position or strategy to the Company.
This position reports directly to the VP of Global Tax
- Develop international tax planning initiatives by applying knowledge of U.S. international tax laws, foreign tax laws and tax treaties to minimize withholding taxes, foreign taxes, and U.S. taxes on foreign income, including timely use of foreign tax credits (or deductions).
- Liaison with business partners with respect to international tax and legal matters for supply chain management, corporate transactions, foreign investment and expansion, trade, acquisitions, strategic partnerships and commercial arrangements.
- Prepare timely forecasts of the Company's international tax environment, including foreign taxes and U.S. taxes on foreign income. Coordinate with Finance and Accounting to ensure tax-efficient cash management, including investment, re-deployment and repatriation of cash between the Company and its foreign affiliates.
- Assist legal team in handling all tax issues related to incorporation of legal entities, corporate governance matters, and commercial contracts.
- Manage external consultants to develop, maintain and implement transfer pricing policies worldwide that are tax-compliant in all jurisdictions. Provide timely advice to the business units on transfer pricing matters.
- Draft and manage all intercompany agreements.
- Close coordination with theatre accounting and finance teams on tax compliance and theatre specific tax issues/audits.
- Manage foreign tax compliance outsource relationship to ensure timely tax reporting and compliance with foreign tax laws.
- Manage international issues raised in U.S. and foreign tax audits, including management of competent authority and advance pricing matters.
- Work closely with the VP of Global Tax and lead of Domestic Tax Operations in setting the overall long-term strategy for the Tax Department, managing tax risks globally, and communicating with senior management on tax matters.
- Monitor changes in U.S. international tax and foreign tax laws to anticipate the impact on the Company and influence such changes where appropriate.
The candidate will be an experienced hands-on international tax professional with excellent organization and managerial skills. This individual must also be able to successfully manage multiple projects and competing priorities in a time sensitive environment. The successful candidate must have demonstrated ability to develop and manage personnel.
- Minimum of 15 years of combined public accounting, legal and corporate tax department experience in international tax.
- JD required and LLM in Taxation preferred.
- Experience with issues faced by large multinational companies is a plus.
- Ability to research and communicate technical tax issues clearly to non-tax people and work effectively across all levels of internal process owners and external advisors.
- Individual must possess extensive knowledge of Federal income tax rules relating to international transactions.
- Should have general familiarity with local direct and indirect tax concepts in countries outside the U.S.
- Individual must be able to handle a variety of tax issues in a fast paced environment, including being flexible to geographic time zones.
- Solid project management, organizational and execution skills is a must.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and results oriented.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.