Licensing Counsel - Bethesda/Northern Virginia Splunk
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Splunk Legal is a collaborative team of lawyers and legal professionals who help accelerate Splunk's success by providing creative and practical answers to cutting-edge legal questions. Splunk Legal delivers thoughtful solutions that enable Splunk to grow its industry leadership position globally.
The successful candidate will focus on complex software licensing, channel and business development transactions â€" negotiating, drafting and analysing a wide variety of global agreements with a particular focus on our commercial enterprise customers. He or she will advise clients on the various legal risks, business strategies and other issues related to commercial transactions and compliance maters. He or she will also assist with the continuous development of the commercial team and its processes.
Diligent and proactive are core values of Splunk Legal coupled with excellent business judgment and strategic thinking. The right candidate can work independently as well as collaboratively in a collegial, fast-paced global team environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Advise Splunk Commercial sales teams on transactions and uses relevant to their business
- Review, draft and negotiate licenses and intellectual property agreements, sales, channel partner, business development and other agreements.
- Respond promptly to requests for legal advice from Sales, Business Development, Sales Ops, Channel and other clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts that business people can use.
- Advise all business clients on the legal issues and risks, complex deal structures, approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP, negotiation strategy and other related licensing issues.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, playbook, contract templates, and legal processes.
- Reinforce Splunk's culture of compliance by providing ongoing training, education, and overview to ensure that Splunk meets all applicable legal requirements.
- Assist in development and dissemination of policies and procedures involving licensing, intellectual property, regulatory compliance and related issues.
Education: The successful candidate will hold a Juris Doctorate from a top tier law school and be a member in good standing of a Bar of one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia.
- Possess exceptional legal capabilities and judgment.
- At least 5 years of in-depth experience in enterprise software licensing, business development, intellectual property matters, and demonstrated experience in licensing, open source, antitrust and contract laws.
- In house experience within a high growth, technology driven company is valuable however law firm candidates with significant government contracting and technology related experience will be considered.
- Preference given to candidates with the above experience in with public sector customer or European customers.
- A proven team player with experience in a fast moving, entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrated experience advising clients in structuring complex commercial transactions agreements and responding to complex customer agreements.
- Must have international licensing experience with commercial and governmental transactions.
- Background in drafting and negotiating global licenses and intellectual property agreements, services agreements and Sales, Business Development and Channel agreements.
- Outstanding drafting skills including demonstrated ability to successfully work with attention to detailed contractual language related to technology.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work with and lead teams including both attorneys and business executives to solve complex legal issues and recommend solutions.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and deadlines.
- Ability to operate independently for most issues, with some guidance.
- Superior communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Fluency in one of more languages other than English desirable.
- Highly collaborative team player with a professional desire to make a meaningful impact.
- Flexible, creative, and smart--shows initiative and perseverance, resourceful.
- Can identify creative solutions on the fly that are within the letter and spirit of the law.
- Demonstrated ability to be both strategic and detail oriented.
- Hands on energetic approach coupled with a strong commitment to excellence.
- Able to work independently and to employ excellent legal and business judgment.
- An ability to work successfully in an entrepreneurial, fast moving environment.
- Invigorated by a collaborative, innovative and decisive culture.
- High degree of accountability, professional motivation and drive.
- Ease in developing relationships of trust and confidence both within and outside Splunk.
- Comfortable outside one's â€œcomfort zoneâ€ lending to growth and development.
- Lives the mantra, â€œwork hard, have fun, make history.â€
The Licensing Counsel will report to the Associate General Counsel, Worldwide Field Operations, Cathy Peterson.
About Splunk Inc.
Splunk was founded to pursue a disruptive new vision: make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. Machine data is the fastest growing and most pervasive part of â€œbig dataâ€-- generated by every component of IT infrastructures, applications, mobile phone location data, website click streams, social data, RFID, and much more. Traditional relational database management technologies such as Oracle, IBM, and Microsoft are not designed to collect, index, monitor, analyze and manage the massive real-time streams of machine data that organizations now generate every day. In March 2013, Fast Company magazine name Splunk the No. 4 most innovative company in the world and the No. 1 most innovative big data company.
Splunk helps businesses, universities, and governments meet the challenges and opportunities of managing massive machine data. Splunk now has over 5200 customers in over 90 countries. These organizations are using Splunk to harness the power of their machine data for application management, IT operations and infrastructure management, cyber security, compliance, web intelligence, business analytics and more. With Splunk, these organizations break down traditional data silos, achieve new levels of operational intelligence, and gain valuable insights.
Splunk software has become a platform for machine data. Over 200 Splunk apps have been developed by the Splunk community, including apps for partners including Cisco, Citrix, VMware, Microsoft and other technology leaders.
Splunk now has over 750 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and 8 offices around the world. Splunk achieved $198.9 M in revenue in its last fiscal year. The Company completed a successful initial public offering in April 2012 and is now traded on NASDAQ.
Customers are incredibly evangelistic about Splunk. They often start by downloading the free version of Splunk, and quickly obtain tremendous value. Each quarter, over 300 organizations, across virtually every industry as well as government agencies and universities, have become new customers, and existing customers elect to move ahead with major expansions as they make Splunk the platform for their machine data.
Splunk has built a phenomenal foundation for success with a proven leadership team, highly passionate employees, and unique software. They are seeking individuals to help continue to drive and define a new industry and become part of one of the most innovative, disruptive and successful companies in the software industry.
The Company's culture is highly collaborative, fast moving, smart and irreverent. We are excited about how they are disrupting huge, established markets and how customers love the product. For four years running (including this year), the SF Business Times has recognized Splunk on its list of â€œBest Places to Work.â€
We invite you to learn more about the Company at www.splunk.com.
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED