Linux Systems Engineer Demand Media
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Linux Systems Engineer
Engineering | Kirkland, WA, United States
As a member of our core operations team, you will be responsible for the operational aspects of our web applications and services. You will act as a representative within Demand Media's Systems Engineering Team to define operational requirements, suggest design considerations, and determine the production impact of new development efforts. This role requires the ability to troubleshoot product issues, perform root cause analysis, and provide appropriate solutions to minimize down time and business impact.
Prior experience working in a LAMP environment and strong Linux Systems Administration Skills are a must. Apache, bash and mysql experience is also required. Powershell scripting, ASP.Net applications, IIS management is a plus. You must have working experience of managing virtualized and hardware servers to support Microsoft and LAMP environments. This position requires flexibility in working hours as Operations Engineers are occasionally required to work evenings, weekends, or holidays and are subject to being on-call. This is a true jack-of-all-trades role within the Operations team.
We're looking for ambitious, driven, self-starters who want to be on the leading edge of innovation in online media and technology. This position is located in Kirkland, WA.
- Tasks include:
- Operating system installation, configuration, management and optimization
- Configure and manage basic network services including: smtp, bind dns, openldap, active directory, dhcp, ftp, samba and NFS
- Troubleshoot operating system and application issues
- Capacity planning and monitoring
- Design and implement systems for automating maintenance tasks
- Assist in defining the operational architecture of high availability systems and applications
- Plan and conduct system maintenance in accordance with a change management framework
- Documenting operational procedures
- Provide on-call and after hours support
- SLA development and implementation for specific products
- Research, design, develop and implement solutions for fault tolerance, performance enhancement, capacity optimization, and configuration management for applications.
- Proactively stay abreast of the latest Demand Media technologies, including products and their underlying technologies.
- Designs, develops and implements documentation or tools to maintain the application platform, and to provide information for our Technical Support team.
- Maintains a deep knowledge and understanding of applications and the application architecture in order to mentor the Infrastructure and Technical Support teams on the technical aspects of supported applications.
- Interface with Development teams to resolve 'in code' issues.
- Troubleshoot and optimize the network connectivity of Linux and Microsoft Windows servers
- Maintain a high degree of involvement with Infrastructure teams regarding application needs or repercussions of infrastructure changes.
- Hands-on position participating in software implementation projects of enterprise-class IT solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline and 5+ years in a technical role involving applications operation and management, preferably in a 24x7x365 production environment.
- Any similar combination of education or experience.
- Strong Linux System Administration experience.
- Windows and Linux operating systems administration expertise. Should be familiar with high availability configurations, security and patch management, and Active Directory administration. Experience managing large Windows and Linux server fleets highly desired.
- Experience using, installing and administering the following software packages:
- Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP
- MS SQL Server
- MS Windows Server x32 and x64
- IIS w/ .NET Framework
- Extensive knowledge of following:
- Scripting (Perl, Python, PHP, Powershell, bash or similar)
- ASP.NET, C#, Visual Studio, XML, and web-based APIs
- Strong scripting experience to produce solutions and perform troubleshooting.
- Strong grasp of Internet network concepts, protocols and associated services (TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP/SFTP, SCP, DNS, rsync).
- Understanding of Load Balancing, clustering, and web caching technologies including CDN, memcached, etc.
- Experience using version control and issue tracking systems.
- Experience with multi-tier application administration in a production environment.
- Strong, methodical troubleshooting skills.
- Have a strong understand of basic server hardware.
- Understanding of SDLC practices, including requirements gathering, design, impact analysis, implementation, testing, deployment, remediation and operation.
- Ability to maintain own workflow, prioritizes with respect to departmental or organizational priorities, and complete work with minimal supervision. Requires strong organizational habits and time management.
- Ability to provide off-hours operational support.
- Follows IT industry trends and developments. Will be leaned on for new ideas on process and product recommendations.
- Outstanding problem solving skills and attention to detail, including the ability to think creatively about issues to and intellectual curiosity to find a resolution.
- Positive, self-starter attitude and desire to deal with ambiguity and exceed expectations through focus on quality work at every opportunity.
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent customer service skills used to help Infrastructure and Technical Support teams
- Well-organized, process driven with the ability to multi-task and work alone or in a team environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and retain positive relationships.
We are an equal opportunity employer M/F.
<< Back to Current Openings
||Kirkland, WA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED