Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
Tesla Motors is seeking a harness/packaging design engineer. This engineer will be responsible for the 3D design of wiring harnesses and for the physical integration of the vehicle 12V electrics/electronics modules and harnesses into the Tesla Motors Model S EV Sedan and other Tesla vehicle programs.
- Design of vehicle harnesses and cables including routing, tie down strategy, and service loops for harnesses across jointed structures,
- CAD modeling of vehicle harnesses, connectors, modules, clips and ties, and mounting brackets and hardware (Catia v.5),
- Design of mechanical brackets and other attachment means for electronic modules. Low-weight and low-cost implementation is of high importance.
- Support the engineer developing 2-d harness and wiring documentation to optimize topology/architecture for best cost/performance.
- Set up and maintain BOM, ECO, deviation and project tracking in ENOVIA PLM system.
- Work closely with harness supplier engineers from concept to design release to ensure design for manufacturability and best practices.
- Manage the CAD connector and parts libraries
- Develop assembly documentation from CAD models
- Analyze and document clash conditions or clearances between harnesses, wiring, modules, attachment hardware, and the adjacent components in the vehicle.
- Drive the other members of the team to provide the information necessary to support the packaging development. This engineer will be a force driving others in the engineering team to commit to component locations and interfaces.
- Ensure any problems found during vehicle testing are quickly and effectively corrected.
- Hands-on integration support for electronics and harness packaging in prototype vehicles and during production ramp-up.
- Highly proficient in Mentor Graphics Capital design tools
- Experience and proficiency with ENOVIA PLM system
- Minimum of 5 years as lead harness design and module packaging engineer on vehicle programs.
- Fluency in Catia V.5 modeling documentation, and best practices.
- Strong capability for working within a shared vehicle CAD model.
- Practical experience with design and validation of wiring including crimping, grounding, shielding, sealing, twisted pairs, sheathing and taping, wire and harness tie-down hardware and methods in vehicle applications
- Mechanical or electrical degree or specific training in vehicle harness design strongly preferred.
- Rigorous document control practices are essential
- Excellent team and person-to-person communication skills are required. This engineer will be working across the many disciplines in the engineering organization and must be able to drive others to results by building an effective and positive working relationship with people in many groups.
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.