THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Propulsion Engineering - Engines | Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX is a US based space technology company founded by its residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk, the former co-founder of PayPal. The company's goal is to renew a sense of excellence in the space industry by disrupting the current paradigm of complacency and replacing it with innovation and commercialized price points; laying the foundation for a truly space-faring human civilization.
SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. In-house development includes nearly all flight critical custom components amounting to approximately 85% of our vehicles both by mass and by value. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology problems seen in any organization.
Our success is driven by a wide variety of engineering perspectives and openness to all great ideas. We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced engineering ecosystem focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering.
We build it, test it, and fly it.
Propulsion (Engines) â€" Our Propulsion group brings together some of the brightest minds in the engine business. We currently build more rocket engines than any other organization in the country, furthermore the design and performance parameters of SpaceX engines are notably recognized throughout the industry. Our team built the first human rated engines to see spaceflight since the Space Shuttles Main Engines were built over 30 years ago.
- Provide expertise and guidance to the engineering staff as it relates to metals selection, joining/forming techniques, as well as materials testing and analysis
- Responsible for interfacing with a variety of engineering groups in order to identify proper material selection for propulsion components and subassemblies
- Investigate opportunities for improving existing processes, equipment, technology, etc. for attaining organizational cost reduction and continuous improvements goals
- Conduct hands-on laboratory testing and failure analysis of propulsion hardware and raw stock materials
- Perform rigorous process and product failure analysis failure analysis, and do research and development work on all the hardware
- Perform prototype process trials, materials analysis and characterization
- Develop technologically advanced and patentable products and/or processes that enhance product performance
- Work with external foundries to identify new opportunities for product improvement
- Bachelor's Degree in Material Science, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, or similar technical area of focus
- Expert level first principal engineering knowledge of metals and materials; we place a strong emphasis on hiring engineers with a strong academic foundation
- Experience with stainless, aluminum and nickel base alloys; knowledge of physical and mechanical properties as well as tests to evaluate them (Tensile, Hardness, Failure, Microstructure, SEM, Joint Weld Design)
- Detailed knowledge of one or more of the production processes -- melting, forging, casting, forming, coating, plating, heat treating, and joining
- Personality and drive to execute in a scrappy entrepreneurial environment that operates under tight timelines and aggressive schedules
- Effective written and interpersonal communication skills; must be capable of interacting and convey concepts with all level of our organization
- Advanced Degree in Material Science, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, or similar technical area of focus
- Demonstrated track record of success in a rapidly growing, fast paced and highly competitive environment is preferred
- Hands-on experience in high-production manufacturing environments
- Experience with Electron Beam and fusion welding, rapid prototyping, casting techniques and high temperature metals and coatings
- Experience with technical review of materials processing and a sound understanding of the interaction between process variables and the resulting microstructure and properties
Additional Company Information
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment, and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history -- you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||Hawthorne, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED