New Orleans Culinary Center
Production Manager Position Description
Revolution Foods www.revolutionfoods.com launched in 2006 with the vision that all children will have access to nutritious, tasty food to support the development of healthy minds and bodies. Our mission is to dramatically improve the food and food service experience in schools in order to reduce obesity and improve health, education and wellbeing for students in communities across the United States. Revolution Foods provides schools with a comprehensive and robust meal solution that nurtures the bodies and minds of students. Using many natural and organic products from healthy food suppliers such as Whole Foods, our meals are home-style, kid friendly, and made with care. Our more than 800 person staff is incredibly hard working and dedicated to our mission; everyone pitches in where needed to make sure the kids we serve get high-quality healthy meals delivered to their schools each day. Headquartered in Oakland, California, currently Revolution Foods serves more than 120,000 meals a day in Northern California, Southern California, Denver, Houston, New Jersey, and the Washington D.C. area. Revolution Foods is now planning a launch into the Chicago and New Orleans markets and has plans for growth into other markets in the near future.
Because of our growth plans, Revolution Foods seeks leaders who are willing and able to relocate. The local candidate will need to train in an existing market (Oakland CA; Los Angeles CA; Newark NJ; Denver CO; Houston TX; Washington DC) for 8-12 weeks. The non-local candidate lives in one of these existing markets where she or he can train until mid to late June when relocation/transfer to New Orleans will be required.
The Production Manager is responsible for the production of the 10,000 â€" 15,000 meals a day that we provide to local schools. The Production Manager reports to the Director of Operations, and will lead a team of Cooks, Prep Cooks, Dishwashers and the Porter. Specifically, the Production Manager will be responsible for the consistent execution of the menus and recipes developed by the Home Office Executive Chef, as well as the planning, purchasing, inventory management, vendor relations, and reporting required for the role. The Production Manager will also be responsible for ensuring that their 75-100 person team is properly scheduled and provided the direction and motivation needed to meet the daily production and assembly of meals for the operations. Additionally he/she is responsible for the sanitation and maintenance of the food production areas and related equipment. This is a 6 day a week operation with the facility in operation Sunday through Friday and the Production Manager will generally work from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m., however flexibility is required. As this is a new market for Revolution Foods and has a new team, it is expected that the Production Manager will work every day overseeing the production areas until them have developed leads to manage the production in their absence.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Establishes a culture of respect, hard work, consistency and effective communication in the production facility and when interfacing with outside clientele.
- Purchases according to menu planning, product specifications and COGs control system using costing tools and budgets as directed by the Director of Operations.
- Maintains food production costs and price, portion, and quality assurance and control methods in a large food production operation.
- Manages the procedures for ordering, receiving, storing, and packaging meals and foods items in large quantities. Implementing and maintaining â€œfirst in first outâ€ principles of inventory management.
- Partners with Director of Operations on staff resource planning for A.M. and P.M. production lines.
- Utilizes company production planning tools and resources to ensure facility accountability for client orders.
- Adheres to the Federal, State, and District rules and regulations pertaining to school meals and child nutrition compliance.
- Maintains according to company standards the highest levels of food safety, sanitation and cleanliness in all production facility areas
- Coaches staff on proper use and care of equipment used in Revolution Foods production facilities.
- Manages the health, sanitation, and safety regulations pertaining to the handling and storage of foods and the operation of food processing facilities and equipment.
- Develops and maintains accurate records, makes mathematical computations, and prepares production reports.
- Reviews and analyzes production work processes and implements corrective action for operational improvements.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with vendors and kitchen employees to ensure food costs are aligned with the operating budget.
- Maintains monthly waste log and calculate monthly costs at close of month end inventory as directed by the Director of Operations.
- Manages company's â€œGreenâ€ waste, compost and recycling program as directed by the Director of Operations.
- Provides hands on production duties as needed/required.
- Participates in hiring, staff training and development, and the supervision of the production staff.
- Coaches employees on proper food and physical safety processes. Ensures proper company protocol is followed during injury occurrences.
- Executes all performance and coaching for hourly kitchen employees as directed by the Director of Operations.
- Ensures food and equipment returns and credits are accurately processed as directed by the Director of Operations.
- Monitors cleanliness of all area's in the kitchen environment.
- Oversees inventory control by supervising the porter and maintaining daily inventory reports.
- Complies with all state and federal Health and Safety codes.
- Monitors Eco-lab and responds to monthly facilities summaries as needed as directed by the Director of Operations.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, and follows through on requests in a timely manner.
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Willingness and ability to relocate within 6-12 months of joining Revolution Foods.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive needed to work effectively within a young and growing company.
- 5-6 years culinary experience in a high unit volume food production facility; additionally 3+ years of proven experience in a kitchen management role is highly desired.
- Hands on production manager experience working in a high volume, food production facility.
- Proven track record for delivering success in adverse environments.
- Proven management experience including training and development of team.
- 2-3 years purchasing and vendor management experience.
- Experience in working early morning hours and/or a self described â€œmorning personâ€ as their day will start at 4:00 a.m.
- Able to lift 50 pounds and physically perform requirements of job.
- Advanced knowledge of safe and proper knife and kitchen utensil use.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills are required with the ability to quickly learn new programs.
- Able to work well with others and participate as part of a team.
- Able to multi-task in a professional, respectful manner with keen attention to detail.
- Committed to the Revolution Foods mission that all children will have access to nutritious, tasty food to support the development of healthy minds and bodies.
- Bi/Multi Lingual is a plus
- Valid driver's license required.
Qualified candidates are required to submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter.
Revolution Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer.