On-Site Support Specialist BioStorage Technologies
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED The statements below reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the major
responsibilities of the identified position and are not to be construed as a detailed description of
all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
The On-Site Support Specialist is part of a group of individuals that support both, Sample
Management Operations and Comprehensive Solutions. There is need to develop a highly
skilled support team for the existing and future on-site locations. The individual will reside
within the operations department and support the Comprehensive Solutions on an ad hoc basis.
This individual will be responsible for supplying vacation and emergency back-up support for
the various on-site locations around the world. This person will be accountable for
understanding and performing all functions related to the processing of samples at all specified
sites, and ensuring that all applicable SOPs (BST or client?s) are properly created and followed,
and maintaining communications to key individuals while ensuring customer needs are met.
Support will also be provided through telephone, or ?help desk?, activities to current on-site
For new on-site locations, this individual will be deployed either individually or as part of a team
for the purpose of planning, launching, and operationalizing on-site services. They serve as the
single point of contact for customers regarding service requests that have already been
negotiated, service delivery, and problem solving. They also provide direct, hands-on guidance
and technical leadership of all on-site personnel assigned to them. Additionally the On-Site
Support Specialist is responsible for seeking opportunities to improve processes, throughput,
and new services and make these known to appropriate people or lead the changes themselves.
The On-Site Support Specialist will also be responsible for performing routine and non-routine
maintenance on all freezer storage units and facilities equipment. In addition, this position will
assist with calibration and validation testing on equipment, unpacking and installing new
equipment, and for stocking inventory and keeping an accurate account of operations
inventory. While not at an on-site location, the individual will be a part of the Sample Management
Operation team, supporting sample management operations responsibilities typically associated
with the senior operations technician.
Additional job specifics will be outlined for each client/location based upon contracted services.
Major Responsibilities, Activities and Task Statements:
Essential Functions as related to Sample Management Operations and on-site backup support
1. Manage all aspects of Sample Management operations, consumables, supplies and
2. Manage sample processing requests from customers to include package receipt, inbound shipments, data entry, sample accessioning, sample labeling, assignment of
storage and processing of discard requests via web ISISS or manually created and
3. Competent registration of hand-built samples, import manifests previously broken
down and QC content including formatting.
4. Perform simple laboratory tasks including aliquoting, DNA extraction, and media
5. Facilitate resolution of query requests.
6. Perform or facilitate the creation of client specific SOPs, Project Definitions and other
7. Facilitate inbound and outbound shipments including contact with sender and receiver
8. Manage customer?s inventory and provide information to customers upon request.
9. Perform required freezer preventative maintenance.
10. Assist with the validation and calibration of essential operations equipment.
11. Ensure equipment and facility is maintained in good working order. Ensure all service
failures are identified, investigated, and reported appropriately.
12. Initiate communication with multiple contacts within customer site to maintain or
cultivate relationships and gather intelligence about customers' needs and problems.
To maintain a high customer service level, the On-Site Coordinator should share all
relevant information with other BST locations and/or copy them on applicable staff
email communications with global clients. On-Site Coordinator should also regularly
communicate with sales leads.
13. Proactively manage and drive the resolution of client issues while promoting
continuous process improvement. Assist in developing, implementing, validating and
testing of new processes and equipment.
14. Coordinate with Sales and Operations to anticipate customer needs.
15. If applicable, direct the daily activities of operations staff and assign work to achieve
the greatest effectiveness. Assist others in resolving technical or operational problems
to ensure an accurate and timely resolution.
16. If applicable, train staff in operational processes such as receipt, data entry,
registration, labeling and storage of samples.
17. Maintain a safe work environment by following all established safety and universal
precautions guidelines and procedures.
18. Ensure adherence to all BST quality and safety policies and SOPs as well as assigned
location safety policies.
19. Perform routine and non-routine quality checks as directed. 20. Maintain own training file and required documentation.
21. Provide management with reports/data as required.
22. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions as related to Comprehensive Solutions and new on-site services
1. Support execution of on-site implementation project plan from beginning to end as
instructed by the project director.
a. Understand the scope of the project.
b. Be willing to drive results within your control but escalate issues when needed.
c. Thoroughly train on-site manager, on-site coordinator, on-site technicians on all
processes and procedures for a smooth transition.
2. Liaise with clients, management on an ongoing basis.
3. Advise on need for appropriate or additional staff and/or consultants if necessary during
4. Identify and integrate appropriate individual or department responsibilities and influence
5. Set and continually manage on-site services implementation expectations with team
members and other stakeholders.
6. Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
7. Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the implementation team.
8. Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
9. Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
10. Track project milestones and deliverables.
11. Take part in evaluations and assessment of results.
? Bachelors degree
? Willingness to travel to up to three months at a time.
? Willingness to travel on short, some times less than 3 days, notice.
? Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
? Planning and organizing.
? Communication skills.
? Influencing and leading.
? Team work.
? Conflict management.
? Adaptability and stress tolerance.
? Previous experience handling biological specimens.
? Good written and verbal communication.
? Have demonstrated ability to talk to customers, managers, technical personnel with
? Demonstrated leadership skills; able to work across organizational lines.
? Customer Service background.
? Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and make good judgment about what to
reveal to customers. ? Demonstrated high level of initiative and ability to work independently.
? Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and email.
? Able to lift 50 lbs.
? Degree in Life Sciences
? IATA certified
Organizational Core Competencies:
? Guided by a set of core values and beliefs to guide behavior and performance
? Represents information accurately and openly
? Demonstrates fairness in dealing with others
? Uses appropriate judgment in maintaining confidentiality
? Displays consistent loyalty to company values even under pressure
? Acts objectively and inspires trust
? Considers the client perspective when creating policies, procedures and solutions.
? Attentive and responsive to customer requests.
? Listens to and anticipates needs of the customer.
? Identifies influences and manages customer expectations.
? Aligns priorities with the customer?s priorities.
? Acts with a sense of urgency on behalf of customer needs.
? Recognizes that building relationships are critical for success-internal and external.
Accountability to Team and Self
? Is open to learning ones tendencies ? areas of strengths and areas of development
knows ones strengths and limits
? Understand behavior impact on others
? Acknowledges accountability for performance and its influence on team
? Recognition that intent and actions should be aligned, with sensitivity to others
? Demonstrates support for the group over personal wishes
? Anticipate, identify, confront and overcome barriers in order to successfully complete a
task or project.
? Focuses on outcomes rather than activities.
? Demonstrates personal contribution to accomplish goals.
? Drives and produces efficient solutions ? actively pursues process improvement.
? Consistently delivers on commitments and goals.
? Drives quality standards and maintains these standards.
? Follow established guidelines for quality assurance.
? Takes accountability for mistakes through self-reporting, corrective action, and
? Consistently demonstrates accuracy, compliance and gold standards service performance.
? Ambassador of quality throughout the organization.
? Employee will be working in an area with potentially infectious materials. Employee will
be responsible for maintaining a clean work environment and enforce and follow
Universal Precautions for bloodborne pathogens when working in an area considered to
be potentially contaminated.
? Extensive travel may be required.
||2655 Fortune Circle West |
Indianapolis, IN 46241
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED