Packaging Engineer SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Manufacturing and Production Engineering | Hawthorne, CA, United States
SpaceX is a US based advanced technology company founded by residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk. SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology and engineering systems in the world.
We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries and technologies to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced environment focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering. We build it, test it, and fly it.
- Develop packaging and packing methods employing design data to protect materials. Provide detailed packaging instructions to shipping personnel for use in preparation of materials for outside sourcing and delivery.
- Design and select appropriate, cost-effective packaging materials and equipment. Ensure packaging vendor and supplier compliance for established packaging methods, specifications, and procedures. Compile and maintain PFEP (Plan for Every Part) database and employ criteria to consolidate and optimize packaging; both expendable and returnable. Provide cost estimation as required by commercial and/or purchasing. Develop robust packaging for line-side presentation in a production environment, including collaboration with cross-functional departments to ensure appropriate packaging and conveyance methods are employed.
- Initiate and drive new package designs in support of product initiatives, packaging design and performance enhancements.
- Lead PFEP (Plan for Every Part) data collection process and maintain dynamic PFEP system including supplier collaboration process.
- Develop detailed packaging specifications to insure cost-effective, quality materials are used for all components, sub-assemblies, and end items as required.
- Lead the maintenance of existing packaging and the development of new packaging equipment/system design standards.
- Develop written procedures, guidelines, specifications, and direct activities to determine â€œbest practice packagingâ€ both internally and with supply base.
- Initiate and coordinate packaging line trials at appropriate vendor, manufacturing and supplier facilities to ensure performance validation packaging structure and/or packaging design.
- Direct activities of packaging vendors to ensure proper execution of activities.
- Develop technical specifications and bid documents for the procurement of packaging and packaging equipment.
- Analyzes engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of item, special handling and safety requirements, and type of materials required for primary, secondary, and tertiary packaging.
- Research, monitor and assess existing and new packaging equipment.
- Determines feasibility of packaging and their containers by building models; testing methods and containers; determining equipment requirements and evaluating cost/ROI.
- Conceive, lead, and develop packaging alternatives that help support cost reduction initiatives and projects in partnership with purchasing, logistics, and production departments.
- Lead resolution of packaging and packaging-related conveyance issues (supplier and internal)
- Continuously evaluate new packaging materials and packaging systems for application to company products both current and future, and make recommendations for appropriate changes.
- Recommend and follow the design and implementation of new packaging modules and reports within proprietary ERP system (WARP).
- Work closely with Product and Release Engineering to capture part and packaging data for new references as well as evaluating packaging changes affected by engineering changes.
- 5-10 years' experience in Manufacturing and Packaging Engineering.
- Bachelor's Degree Required - Packaging Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering highly preferred.
- Internal ERP System (WARP).
- Internal CAD design system (NX).
- Internal CAD data center (Team Center).
- Understanding of packaging equipment, packaging materials and current packaging technologies.
- Hands-on mechanical troubleshooting.
- Ability to analyze engineering drawings and specifications to establish packaging requirements.
- Experience troubleshooting packaging and conveyance materials issues.
- Project management skills.
- Preference is for a candidate with a background in material handling, layout, conveyance, palletizing, and warehouse design.
- Experience with Plan for Every Part (PFEP) strategies.
- Strong computer skills.
- Experience of packaging in logistics processes.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Preference for candidate with familiarity in ERP systems.
Additional position information
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||multiple, multiple |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED