Performance Nutritionist- Baseball Athletes' Performance
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED Description
Performance Nutritionist with Baseball Emphasis - APLA
Athletes? Performance Mission
To provide the finest performance methods, specialists and facilities seamlessly integrated to efficiently and ethically enhance our athletes? performance.
Uphold the Athletes? Performance Mission Statement, Objectives, and all future direction set forth by the APAZ management.
Abide by all policies and procedures set forth in the Athletes? Performance Policies and Procedures Manual.
Continually strive to improve your, and all fellow staff members, knowledge and performance to best help the athlete.
Demonstrate the qualities: Character, Integrity, Loyalty, Benevolence, Dedication, Passion, Compassion, Forgiveness, Desire, Professionalism and Teamwork.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Individual Nutrition Counseling
- Assesses and analyzes dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance (intake and expenditure) of athletes in the context of athletic performance and health.
- Counsels athletes on optimal nutrition for exercise training (mission nutrition to training phases and goals), recovery from exercise, weight management, hydration, immunity, disordered eating, travel, and supplementation.
- Counsels athletes on achieving and maintaining a level of body mass, body fat, and muscle mass that is consistent with good health and good performance.
- Provides personalized meal and snack plans to promote achieving short- and long-term goals for athletic performance and good health.
- Works with AT to determine hydration protocols and counsels athletes on best practices.
- Addresses nutritional challenges to performance, such as food allergies, bone mineral disturbances, gastrointestinal disturbances, iron depletion, and iron-deficiency anemia.
- Provides medical nutrition therapy, as needed, to help manage or treat medical conditions.
- Counsels athletes on optimal nutrition for recovery from illness or injury.
- Coordinates nutritional care as a member of multidisciplinary sports medical/sports science teams.
- Collaborates with the individual?s family, physician, coach, and other health professionals, as appropriate.
- Documents nutrition services provided and evaluates the effectiveness of nutrition strategies towards meeting desired outcomes using the Nutrition Care Process.
- Recommends appropriate pre-, during, and post-exercise fluids and snacks for individual training, mission preparation, and deployment.
- Develops and oversees nutrition policies and procedures.
Food Service and Menu Development
- Will work closely with performance chef in procurement of meals/food
- Work closely with performance chef to develop menus and recipes that will assist in aiding performance and recovery
- Will work closely with performance chef to plan menus for fueling table and group travel.
- Coordinates/manages quantity food production and distribution such as developing and managing fueling table menus and catering.
- Coordinates nutrition for travel, for example, catering, hotels, airlines.
- Develops and delivers nutrition education for food service personnel and clubhouse managers as needed.
- Coordinates with in-house food service to develop optimal menus, cafeteria environment/educational materials, food line set up, etc
- Develops and delivers small to large group nutrition education presentations, demonstrations, or events on various topics related to nutrition for performance.
- Provides individual nutrition counseling and education as needed.
- Serves as a nutrition resource for coaches, food service personnel, clubhouse managers and significant others.
- Develops and delivers on various nutrition topics to staff and clubhouse managers
- Develops resources to support educational efforts.
- Educates in food selection (grocery store tours, food storage) and food preparation (cooking classes).
- Works with management to stay within budget for purchasing and distribution of nutritional supplements.
- Evaluates nutritional supplements, based on WADA guidelines and ensures supplements are NSF ceritifed; including but not limited to herbal supplements, for legality, safety, quality, and efficacy; monitors use of appropriate supplementation.
- Creates supplementation recommendations based on demands of sport and goals of the athlete
- Maintains dietetic registration and continuing education requirements.
- Develops and implements an individualized portfolio plan for professional growth and development including participation in professional organizations and activities, workshops, seminars, and development programs.
- Stays abreast of current food, nutrition, and health issues and research related to sports nutrition.
- When not with the baseball team will support the APLA facility dietitian in:
Continue to refine nutrition materials (nutrition 101, handouts, meal builder, etc)
Implement and present internal and external Nutritional Education Programs consistent with APAZ systems, clients, and memberships (group and individual)
Develop and document nutritional and supplementation plans for each athlete, group or program.
Individual and group Consultation, Nutrition Education, and specific strategies for their implementation.
Computerized nutritional analysis and review with Nutribase software
Shake area supervision and solutions:
Quality Assurance Procedures for Supplementation Preparation and Implementation.
Supplementation plan, implementation, and detailed record keeping for each athlete in the system
Shake bar is kept up to code.
Coordination, Data Collection (Validity/Reliability), Input, Analysis, Records, etc. of all available testing
Lange Skin fold Calipers, Body Grid, Circumferences, Height, Weight, etc.
Hydration Station Supervision & Solutions
Create and maintain hydration protocols for each client
Stocking & ordering of appropriate product (straws, cups, lids, packets)
Blood Work for Appropriate Members
Coordinate blood draws, send to Analyze, Decipher Reports, Action Plan, Athlete/Support Team Review
Present at educational symposiums as well as for the AP Education team
Write on behalf of Athletes? Performance.
Maintain and update programming as appropriate
Understand AP methodology, instruction, and implementation of nutrition, hydration and supplementation prescriptions.
Create synergistic protocol for AP systems and programs
Program Evaluation, Implementation, and Re-Evaluation
Research for improving program.
Work closely with the performance coaching and physical therapy staff to maintain the culture of integration
Be self-sufficient, organized and willing to lead and manage the nutrition department within the AP-LA facility
Attend weekly facility meetings as well as bi-weekly nutrition team meetings and regularly scheduled meetings as deemed appropriate with the Director of Performance nutrition
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor?s degree in clinical nutrition, food and nutrition, or related area, granted from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Completion of didactic program in dietetics and supervised practice program approved by the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (CADE) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Minimum of 2 years experience in nutrition counseling, preferably with emphasis on sports nutrition.
- Master?s degree in nutrition or exercise physiology preferred
- Registered Dietitian with active registration by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Certification/Licensure as required by state of practice.
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) preferred, but not required.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and counseling skills.
- Dynamic and confident personality
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- Ability to accurately measure height, and body weight.
- Ability to accurately assess body composition (body mass, body fat, and muscle mass).
- Ability to accurately assess and evaluate energy balance.
- Knowledge of eating disorder/disordered eating signs and symptoms.
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy, including interviewing and education techniques.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and record-keeping skills.
- Knowledge of complementary medicine, ergogenic aids, and nutritional supplements, including herbal supplements.
- Competence with nutrient analysis, word processing, and presentation software.
- Compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
- Knowledge of measurements of resting metabolic rate, energy expenditure, VO2max, and lactate threshold.
- Knowledge of food service quality and safety procedures.
- Up to 30% travel
||Los Angeles, CA |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED