Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated process engineer to work with our PCBA and electronic component suppliers to improve yield and production capacity. She/he will be a member of our Supply Chain Organization supporting the ramp up of new and existing supplier base, primarily in Mexico and East Asia.
- Responsible for increasing yield and production capacity at key Tesla suppliers
- Develop and implement key performance metrics for chosen suppliers
- Apply design for manufacturability techniques. Work with design engineers and suppliers to bring about improvisation in engineering of a product in order to facilitate the manufacturing process, reduce its manufacturing costs, improve yields and scalability.
- Develop strong relationship with chosen suppliers
- Track and set production priorities
- Work collaboratively with other Tesla groups such as Engineering, Quality, and Supply Chain
- Assist in the implementation of quality standards in support of commercial/ automotive requirements.
- Assist in the implementation of Best Known Methods from different production sites.
- Assist and direct line layout to optimize process flow and production output.
- Lead prototype builds through the product lifecycle process
- Apply design for manufacturing, design for assembly, design for cost techniques to next gen products
- Utilize SMT, thru-hole, hot bar, MCM, conformal coating and mechanical assembly processes
- Implement process control, including SPC for high volume production
- Execute Design of Experiments and Process FMEAs
- Map and detail production constraints, determine root cause, provide solutions, clarify scheduling for implementation.
- Bachelor's degree in industrial engineering, electrical engineering or mechanical engineering or similar
- Minimum 5 years experience in process engineering of electronic components or PCBAs
- Experience in ramp up of new product assembly
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing principles
- Hands-on and experienced with tooling/fixtures and factory environment
- Ability to resolve complex problems with simple and timely solutions
- Ability to work with and train factory technicians and operators
- Familiarity with FATP (Final Assembly and Test and Pack)
- Familiarity with PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)
- Very good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to get along with engineers and operators from various countries.
- Fluency in foreign languages would be helpful (especially Spanish and Mandarin).
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced environment in which flexibility and adaptability are key attributes needed for success.
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
- Familiar with flex circuit boards, rigid boards and IPC standards
- Familiar with packaging design and labeling processes for product identification and traceability
- Up to 50% local and international travel may be required
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.