Product Manager, Mobile for Wikimedia m/Oppenheim
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED Wikimedia seeks an experienced Product Manager to guide development of mobile applications that are rapidly embraced by various types of contributors and users. The Product Manager of Mobile works with design and engineering teams to envision and build products that accelerate the growth of the free knowledge on smart phones and tablets. This individual will develop products and features that promote both wider readership of Wikipedia, as well as enable users to contribute to the encyclopedia while they are on their mobile devices.
Candidates will ideally have experience with the impact that alternative mobile hardware platforms have on product design, and the capabilities and constraints of various operating environments (particularly iOS and Android). Familiarity with content management, content manipulation and collaboration features, and open source development thinking is also important to success.
Features will be clustered and embedded in applications in ways that are logical for various types of users, who have different needs that fall into three basic categories:
- 1. Knowledge collection and contribution;
- 2. Pre-editing of knowledge before it is contributed to Wikimedia projects, and local or connected editing of knowledge previously contributed by others;
- 3. Use and sharing of data that resides in Wikimedia projects in various media (ie text, image, video, audio), and that is accessible through the internet.
The Product Manager, Mobile is expected to understand and represent the needs of different types of end-users, and be in part the architect and strategist of the mobile product line, while understanding the world inhabited by engineers. This person will be mentor and student, manager and collaborator, strategist and tactical implementer. A keen sense of how products are market-tested, introduced and rolled out is important to the success of the Product Manager, Mobile.
Wikimedia teams are assembled across departmental lines by project, with reporting lines working in a matrix as opposed to a top-down hierarchy. Rather than conforming to a culture that applies a command and control approach, Wikimedia professional staff and volunteers tend to organize around people able to exert influence through thought-leadership, strong communication, innovation, ambition and satisfaction in developing great product and features. The Product Manager, Mobile will lead all mobile development initiatives through influence.
This is a roll up your sleeves, participatory organization. The best people want to contribute to the most innovative projects. They want to be heard and encouraged to ever higher levels of achievement. Close cooperation across groups and seamless communication are important elements of the success of Mobile Products at the Wikimedia Foundation.
Candidates should have the following type of experience and qualifications:
1. Strong experience in leading teams for products built for various types of mobile hardware. Experience with iOS and Android operating system environments is essential;
2. Experience with a broad array of the challenges faced by large-scale mobile projects. Experience with any or all of the following would be valuable:
- mobile content management and dissemination, gaming, social media, online community, and mobile interface design;
- mobile applications requiring persistent connection and periodic connection; deployment of functionality through browsers (written for HTML5) and through applications;
- mobile applications where various kinds of text, image, video and sound data can be assembled, stored and/or changed locally on the mobile platform and then uploaded, and later accessed via WiFi or cellular connection to the internet.
3. A track record rapidly developing and releasing mobile features;
4. Immersion in the world of mobile computing that bridges the world of end-users and engineers, with a strong knowledge of hardware and OS trends. A broad understanding of the mobile applications landscape as it relates to Wikimedia's mission is particularly important.
5. Prior experience in working closely with top engineering teams and influencing user experience design; an ability to bring different data to bear to guide product design decisions, including use of prototypes, market research, user testing and such;
6. A track record as an exceptional communicator able to convey complex concepts to people of differing levels of knowledge and experience, in writing as well as verbally; experience preparing and making effective presentations to diverse groups large and small with different interests and priorities;
7. Demonstrated skills in engaging, motivating, coordinating and supporting communities, and in managing the sometimes chaotic and quasi-anarchic nature of free-thinking volunteer communities is important;
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Currently, we're assisting Wikimedia in a search for a Senior Product Manager of their Mobile Division. m/Oppenheim is an executive search firm that works exclusively with the non-profit sector.
5 - 20M RaisedSelf Funded All Jobs: at m/Oppenheim
|Headquarters:||221 Main Street|
San Francisco, CA 94105
Support m/Oppenheim with Social Media services