Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
This position will be responsible for working closely with product development teams to support the proactive development of high quality vehicles and subsystems. This PQE position will be focused primarily on Body, Chassis and Interior subsystems to assure the developed vehicles will meet quality expectations and will be manufacturable. In addition, the reactive element of this position will include tracking and management of corrective actions for issues identified during test, production and field performance.
The successful candidate for this position must have a broad technical background with the ability to work with engineering, manufacturing, service and suppliers across a wide variety of issues. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement to establish effective working relationships within Tesla and outside.
- Development of vehicle subsystem level requirements and quality standards to assure products will meet expectations of our target customers.
- Deployment of subsystem level requirements to assemblies & components to assure clear focus on design needs. Identification of critical requirements to assure proper supplier and production focus on critical needs.
- Leading development of FMEAs (Design & Process) for development teams to identify critical risks to be addressed.
- Support development of vehicle level and subsystem test plans to address risks identified in DFMEA.
- Participate in design reviews to assure product subsystem quality, manufacturability, inspectability, reliability, etc.
- Assist development with statistical tolerancing, Monte Carlo analysis and other methods to investigate the effects of part and process variability on system performance.
- Design effective experiments through DOE or other methods to support design teams in investigation of various alternatives or in design validation testing.
- Support process capability analyses to investigate the ability of suppliers and production processes to meet defined specifications and quality standards.
- Manage and facilitate the root cause & corrective actions system through tracking and validation of issues and support in root cause analysis through facilitating brainstorming, e of fishbone diagrams, hypothesis testing, design of experiments, etc.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in engineering or other technical discipline.
- MS degree in engineering is preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience with at least 5 years in a Quality Engineering role.
- Experience working in automotive industry with preferred focus on body, chassis and/or interior.
- Specific training and demonstrated success in applying design for quality and problem solving methodologies.
- Design for Six Sigma, FMEA, Fishbone Diagrams, process capability analysis, hypothesis testing, DoE, SPC, etc.
- Minitab or other statistical software capabilities are preferred.
- Six Sigma Black Belt certification is preferred, especially in DFSS.
- Experience with various Design Validation Testing (DVT) techniques including HALT and HASS testing.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally (10% to 20%).
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.