Production Engineer - Dragon Structures SpaceX
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Production Engineer - Dragon Structures
Manufacturing and Production Engineering | Hawthorne, CA, United States
Production Engineer - Dragon
SpaceX is a US based space technology company founded by its residing CEO and CTO, Elon Musk, the former co-founder of PayPal. The company's goal is to renew a sense of excellence in the space industry by disrupting the current paradigm of complacency and replacing it with innovation and commercialized price points; laying the foundation for a truly space-faring human civilization.
SpaceX builds rockets and spacecraft from the ground up; including electronics, software, vehicle structures, and engines. In-house development includes nearly all flight critical custom components amounting to approximately 85% of our vehicles both by mass and by value. Our development and production efforts represent some of the most dynamic and challenging technology problems seen in any organization.
Our success is driven by a wide variety of engineering perspectives and openness to all great ideas. We pride ourselves on being a meritocracy where employees are defined by their capabilities and contributions, instead of title or tenure. We are actively seeking the best and brightest minds from all industries to continue to build our world class team.
Our employees thrive in a fast-paced engineering ecosystem focused on innovation and high levels of personal responsibility. At SpaceX we cut through the noise and believe in the essentials of hardcore engineering.
We build it, test it, and fly it.
Manufacturing/Production â€" One of the most critical needs we now have at SpaceX is for Manufacturing/Production engineers. With two vehicles flight proven, we have a $3 billion backlog of sold flights. The next critical phase is proving our ability to build rockets with increasing speed while maintaining quality in order to meet the markets high demand. We are looking to add manufacturing engineers throughout the company.
- Working closely with design engineers, internal machine shops and external vendors to get parts built on schedule.
- Facilitating the production of flight-qualified structural hardware on time and within budget.
- Resource management, planning, coordinating and interfacing with (and impacting/improving) our own home-built Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Developing production procedures/processes, and managing the transition of parts and assemblies from development to production.
- Resolving manufacturing discrepancies and interfacing with the quality team (resolving issues etc).
- Positively impacting and improving every aspect of life at SpaceX.
New Engineering Drawings
- Set up the ERP system Ã perform the 'where-used' analysis, load the Manufacturing Bill Of Material (MBOM), coordinate the make/buy analysis, coordinate the planning of the new drawing (either by working with a planner or doing it themselves), and ensure that work orders or purchase orders are released at the appropriate time to support the assigned product's build schedule.
Coordination with Design Engineering & Shop Floor
- Create and maintain a build schedule that lists all discrete fabrication and assembly tasks.
- Ensure that all parts are fabricated or purchased at the correct time to facilitate the build schedule.
- Create and maintain shortage lists as required, and coordinate with all parties involved to resolve design, fabrication, assembly, and purchasing problems as they arise.
- Work with Design Engineering & the Shop Floor to improve the fabrication and assembly methods and processes as required.
- Review new drawings and build instructions as required to ensure that the correct data is documented to facilitate the fabrication and assembly of the assigned products.
- Ensure that all Design Changes are worked by the Planning and Configuration Management team in a timely manner.
The SpaceX Structures Production Operations Mantra:
Do whatever it takes. Stand up for your principles. Ask forgiveness rather than permission. Take the initiative. If you see any problem that no one else is adequately addressing, take it upon yourself to fix that problem. Don't wait for assignments to be handed to you, but look for the next critical problem that needs to be solved. If you are not so busy that you can barely keep track of what is going on, then you don't have enough on your plate. If anyone, anywhere, at anytime has a question related to your assigned product, do whatever it takes to get an answer to that question in a timely manner. For your assigned products, make yourself the center of the universe.
Ensure that for every hour of effort that you put in, many more hours of effort are saved by others. Efficiency in all things.
- B.S. or M.S. Degree in Manufacturing, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering or similar discipline
- Minimum of 2 - 5 + years experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with taking products from launch into production.
Additional position information
- Process development, facility and line layouts, PFMEA, Error-Proofing
- Experience with Design for Manufacture and Assembly
- Experience with Unigraphics (UGS) and Teamcenter CAD and PDM systems is desired.
- Knowledge of metallic or composite manufacturing techniques, processes, equipment, and other processes such as: machining, welding, sheet metal forming, tube bending and stamping
SpaceX offers one of the best environments in the world for employees to learn, build real working systems and tackle exciting challenges every day. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, stock options, medical/dental insurance and free gym memberships. By joining the SpaceX team, you are not just a part of history, you are making it.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resource Department at (310) 363-6000.
<< Back to Current Openings
||multiple, multiple |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED