Job Description: Production Manger, Powertrain Manufacturing
About Tesla Motors
Tesla Motors is a small, aggressive, well-funded start-up in the San Francisco Bay Area that is making advanced electric vehicles, batteries, and drive systems a reality and working to change the future of the transportation industry. We are building a technically strong, fast-moving team that prides itself on superior execution.
Tesla Motors designs and sells high-performance; highly efficient electric sports cars -- with no compromises. Tesla Motors cars combine style, acceleration, and handling with advanced technologies that make them among the quickest and the most energy-efficient cars on the road.
The Production Manager will report to the Director of Powertrain Manufacturing and will be responsible for meeting the production forecast and driving continuous improvement through the manufacturing process. The Production Manager provides hands-on support, leadership, and direction to the manufacturing Supervisors and associated teams.
- Drive manufacturing team to achieve established targets for daily going rate (DGR) and on-time shipments (OTS).
- Maintain high product quality and manufacturing yield while ensuring optimal use of resources and adherences to best safety practices.
- Hire, coach, lead and develop approximately 100 - 300 hourly production team members and 3 â€" 8 to direct reports (Production Supervisor). Conduct team member training.
- Monitor metrics and Key Performance Indicator's (KPI's) to assess productivity and cost management.
- Help with implementation of and continued adherence to Lean manufacturing and 5S initiatives.
- Assess and analyze current practices and drive improves.
- Partner and Coordinate with Engineering, Materials, Maintenance, and other internal departments to resolve issues and concerns.
- Enforce proper material management procedures.
- Support and collaborate with Sales, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, Test and Quality departments.
- Lead by example of positive reinforcement and make Tesla a World Class Manufacturing Automotive company.
- Prior management experience of similarly sized manufacturing team.
- Hands-on experience with electro-mechanical assembly.
- The ideal candidate is analytical, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to pro-actively communicate with all employees and works well in a fast-paced multi-cultural environment.
- Experience with process improvement methodologies to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong interpersonal skills.
- Committed to continuous improvement.
- Well organized.
- Ability to work well under pressure, manage competing demands and meet tight deadlines with strong follow through.
- Good understanding of mechanical and standardized processes.
- Ability to use problem solving methods and techniques to successfully and efficiently resolve problems.
- Ability to foster a close working relationship with team members and management.
- BSME/BSEE or production engineering degree preferred
- 10 years related manufacturing experience, 3 years supervisory/management experience
- High-level leadership and decision making skills
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- A strong sense of urgency and drive to succeed.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.