Program Manager - Enterprise Software Products - Toronto Guidewire Software
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Program Manager - Enterprise Software Products
Does building the world's most sophisticated enterprise applications sound like an exciting way to spend your time? Do you enjoy working with customers and translating their needs into concrete technology efforts? Do you excel at managing large, multifaceted development efforts? If so, then Guidewire is for you.
Guidewire builds core enterprise systems for the global property and casualty insurance industry. Our applications are complex, highly configurable, built on a common technology platform, and are the most critical systems that our customers depend on. We're looking for an experienced, thoughtful, and highly-skilled Program Manager to work with the Toronto Development team to deliver great application products to our internal and external customers.
As a Program Manager, your primary responsibility is delivering a high-quality product on the schedule that we've promised our customers. At Guidewire, we believe that it is crucial to focus on quality, set realistic release dates, and build things that our customers truly need. Program Managers play a critical role in that mission. You must be capable of taking charge while soliciting and evaluating input and also managing competing priorities diplomatically. As a Program Manager at Guidewire, you'll be responsible for the following:
- Release and project management. You'll be managing the overall release from a holistic perspective that includes not only engineering and quality but also documentation, curriculum development and post release support. You will be responsible for ensuring that we deliver software to our customers on realistic timelines, working with product management on scope, engineers and testers on quality, and making data driven decisions. As the central point of contact for the PolicyCenter Line of Business products, you'll also be heavily involved in cross application initiatives, coordinating with the PolicyCenter team, other development teams, and other parts of Guidewire, including sales and services. While product management level understanding of the application isn't necessary, having a product management background is a strong asset.
- Communication. We value open communication and transparent, agile processes. As the program manager, you will be the primary source of information as it pertains to the Toronto Development Team's product releases including plans, progress, and risks, driving decisions that affect the company and our customers. You will be responsible for communication with internal development stakeholders, functional managers outside of development such as professional services and sales, as well as external parties such as customers.
- Strategy. Guidewire values long-term investment over short-term expediency. You will be expected to look beyond the bounds of a single release to understand and mitigate long-term risks. You will work with key constituents inside and outside the team to help articulate the overall application strategy and roadmap and ensure that the release strategy reasonably reflects our functional product strategy
- Staffing. As a natural extension of owning the application releases, you will have responsibility for staff planning by working with the functional leads for product management, engineering, and testing on your team.
- Customer Support. Each of our major application versions is used by a large and varied set of customers and supported for many years. While our Support and Consulting Enablement teams handle most customer issues and our product managers support individual projects and determine the priority of fixes, the Program Manager is the singular point of escalation for issues requiring development assistance. You will schedule and manage maintenance releases and patches, sometimes interact directly with customers on hot-button issues, and work with your team leads to appropriately resource maintenance needs.
- Some Minor Office duties â€" Our Toronto office has an office manager, so the portion of the Program Management job involving office duties is small and includes some things like approving purchase requests and invoices and taking the lead on organizing team bonding events.
The Application Program Manager will assume a wide range of responsibilities. You should have experience managing large development efforts, a high degree of comfort with technology, and exceptional analytical and communications skills. You should also be comfortable both engaging in product design discussions with developers and presenting to prospective customers. We value clear, logical thinking, a focus on quality, and the ability to work well in a team.
What will you be working on?
- Bachelors or Masters degree (preferred) from a top university.
- Experience as a software engineer a plus.
- Enterprise software experience.
- Exposure to customer implementation and maintenance issues, in a consulting, support, and/or product management role.
- Project management experience, including projects involving coordination across multiple teams.
- Ability to manage complex initiatives with limited supervision.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Effective in customer-facing situations.
- Good decision-making skills with the ability to make decisions in ambiguous situations.
- Ability to excel in a team-oriented environment.
- Engineering management experience is ideal, though not required.
- Ability to work alongside the rest of our product development team in Mississauga, Canada (close to Toronto)
The Toronto Development Center builds a set of products based on the core Policy Center application that significantly accelerate the implementation of various insurance Lines Of Business (e.g. General Liability, Commercial Automobile, Commercial Property, etc.), as well as to help customers manage the impact of regulatory changes. Writing this kind of software for insurance companies worldwide turns out to be surprisingly complex and difficult to get exactly right, and understanding and rising to that challenge can be a lot of fun.
At the heart of Guidewire culture are three principles:
Collegiality. We work together as professional equals, with a minimum of hierarchy. We strive for good processes and realistic assumptions to keep workload sustainable. We trust people to manage their own time. We seek input without regard for title. We welcome and consider contrary opinions. We value work/life balance.
Integrity. We insist on truthful relationships with customers, prospective customers, partners, investors, and each other in everything that we do.
Rationality. We communicate through clear arguments. We decide carefully based on factual evidence. We like calm, systematic, thoughtful solutions. We constantly improve processes. We use the latest Agile and Lean coding techniques, including work pods, sprints, and scrums.
Seem like a good fit?
If you're excited by the same things we are, we want to hear from you today! We're continuing to grow our Development teams and we are eager to learn more about you.
To see job listings and testimonials from employees about what it's like to work at Guidewire, go to http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/careers
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
As the number one provider of enterprise software applications to the property and casualty insurance industry, we beat our competitors (Accenture, SAP, and others) 9 times out of 10. Guidewire is an award-winning company both within the insurance industry and in the software technology space. Given our success and increasing demand for our products domestically and internationally, we continue to experience double-digit revenue growth. Guidewire has offices throughout the world, including in London, Munich, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Hong Kong, and the United States.
Profitable Investors: Battery Ventures
, Bay Partners
, U.S. Venture Partners All Jobs: at Guidewire Software
|Headquarters:||2211 Bridgepointe Parkway, Ste 200|
San Mateo, CA 94404
|Company Profile:||Guidewire Software is a profitable, privately held, and VC-backed enterprise software product development company that exclusively serves the 1.5 trillion dollar property and casualty insurance industry. Our products enable companies such as GEICO, Liberty Mutual, and Amica to efficiently run their high volume core operations, including underwriting, policy administration, claims, and billing.
Our success can be directly attributed to the bright and extremely talented employees who make it all happen. If you are looking for an opportunity where your talents will not only be recognized and leveraged but also challenged, at a company that is grabbing significant market share in a 1.5 trillion dollar industry, then Guidewire is the place for you. We have an extremely low-turnover organization and 100 percent customer referenceability.
Support Guidewire Software with Social Media services