Regional Executive Director - Silicon Valley, CA Region Reading Partners
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Reading Partners launched in 2001 with the mission to expand opportunities for children in underserved communities by fostering a lifelong love of reading, developing strong literacy skills, and building the confidence and self-esteem critical to empowerment and community development. Reading Partners provides children with robust one-on-one reading support through a structured, research-based curriculum that engages students and provides basic building blocks to supplement their academic growth. On average, Reading Partners students gain 1.7 months of reading skills for every month in the program.
Working in partnership with teachers, schools, and community volunteers, Reading Partners has grown from serving 100 students in 2003 in northern California with a budget of $180,000 to serving over 2,900 students in California, Washington, D.C., New York, Texas, and Maryland with a budget of almost $8M. A recipient of significant Social Innovation Fund funding through the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Reading Partners has plans for continued rapid growth into other regions. For more information about Reading Partners, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
Reading Partners is seeking a dynamic, self-starter to be Regional Executive Director (RED). S/he will oversee programs serving 20-25 elementary schools, lead a program, development, and administrative staff of 20-25 people, and have bottom line fiscal responsibility and partnership development for the region.
The ideal candidate is a social entrepreneur who has deep connections to the K-5 educational and/or non-profit sector, state/local officials and philanthropic leaders who can accelerate Reading Partners regional program expansion.
- The RED reports to the Vice President of Field Operations and is a member of the RP Management Team.
- This position will work closely with the RP regional boards in specific sites as well as with the national board of directors.
Executive Leadership and Fund Development
- Serve as the overall executive manager of field operations within the region, with responsibility for leading staff through training, implementation of launch and growth plans for sites.
- Oversee FY 2013 regional budget of $4mm.
- Provide executive oversight of all program operations, ensuring their compliance with national standards of program quality and efficacy in advancing RP's organizational mission.
- Work with the national office to set fund development goals in alignment with the regional plan and ensure that these goals are consistently met or exceeded. Currently the region has been expanding at a rate of 50-75% per year.
- The ED will work closely with the regional board and assume primary responsibility for raising private and municipal funds in 2012-13, with this number increasing in future years to allow for regional growth.
- Manage regional boards for fund devlopment, program expansion and ensuring effective local leadership and ambassadorship.
- Partner with the RP national office to execute a rigorous program monitoring and evaluation system designed to provide the highest levels of quality assurance.
- Oversee all business functions (accounting, HR, IT, legal, etc.) with the highest degree of professional standards in cooperation with the national office.
- Build organizational infrastructure and capacity to support future growth.
- Build and lead a high-caliber staff of program, development, and operations professionals.
- Oversee professional development and management training for regional staff, upholding RP's culture of continuous improvement and employee advancement.
- Engage and manage relationships with elected officials and public sector partners (municipal, school board, state and district staff for Congressional offices) to support advancement of Reading Partners as a key partner in the educational system in the region
- Support RP's role in the policy dialogue around literacy, education and national service
- Increase organizational visibility and profile in local media markets through the successful implementation of a regional communications plan.
- Serve as primary local public spokesperson for RP, acting as the public face of the organization within the region.
- Create and lead a broad coalition of nonprofit, for-profit, and governmental entities to work together to affect students' reading success.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- At least five years of management experience, demonstrating progressively greater responsibility.
- Extensive experience in staff recruitment, management, and development, demonstrating excellent leadership skills.
- Extensive experience in the nonprofit sector as either an executive/manager (preferred) or highly involved board member.
- Significant experience in fund development, preferably including past work in both front-line fundraising and at the strategy/management level.
- Significant business management experience, including the ability to manage large and complex operating budgets.
- Exceptional communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to local accountability and an understanding of the role of a regional leader within a national organization.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, highly adaptive environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
- Excellent computer skills.
- M.Ed., MBA, or other relevant postgraduate degree.
- Experience in the field of K-5 education, especially within the context of Title I schools.
- Experience working with nationally or regionally scaled nonprofits, especially high growth nonprofits.
- Experience working with local nonprofits, school districts, government officials, and philanthropic organizations in the region.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with benefits including vacation, sick, and PTO schedule including flextime options, comprehensive medical, dental, and vision for employees and dependents, Life and LTD insurance.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Thoughtful cover letter indicating reasons for your interest in the position, relevant experience/qualifications for the position, salary requirements, and salary history.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries please.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
||Milpitas, CA 95035 |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED