Senior Analytical Chemist Gevo
Gevo, Inc. is an exciting, team-oriented company that is pioneering the advanced green energy industry.
We are looking for a Senior Analytical Chemist, based in Englewood, Colorado. The Senior Analytical
Chemist should be capable of developing and executing analytical platforms devoted to the
understanding of yeast fermentation systems including intra/extra cellular metabolomics. The position
requires the development of validated methods for high throughput analysis of metabolites including
computational informatics platforms. An advanced working knowledge of chromatography (GC and LC)
as well as mass spectrometry is essential.
The Analytical Chemist would be expected to receive and prepare samples or tasks from every technical
and R&D group, be conversant with the customers? analytical problems, expectations, and needs, and
be able to work with Analytical colleagues as well as R&D team members to meet the development
needs of the R&D group. The Analytical Chemist should be highly motivated, self-starting, expected to
work independently and to develop and validate new methods. The candidate would be expected to
undertake defined analytical development tasks and drive them to completion.
? Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry (preferred). Biochemistry with sufficient hands-on, industrial Analytical
Chemistry experience. Additional expertise in General Chemistry or Biochemistry would be
considered a plus.
? Candidates are required to have a 3-5 years of professional experience.
? Self-starter and quick-learner with a strong background in General Chemistry.
? Able to apply advanced chromatographic and mass spectrometry theory including method
? Complex problem solving skills to facilitate analysis and development of solutions
? Able to identify errors or areas for improvement, provide recommendations and follow through to
? Organized, with focus on attention to detail and accuracy as well as customers? needs
? Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to effectively work within a team oriented
? Able to prepare and deliver information in a concise, accurate and professionally written format
? Able to present information in an informal setting
? Experienced with developing and maintaining positive customer rapport
? Experienced with Microsoft Office products (proficiency with Excel) and with LIMS software
? Able to lift 15 ? 25 pounds
? Able to work 1-2 scheduled weekend days plus 4-5 scheduled evenings per month
? Able to travel to support the demonstration plant or the commercial plant
? At least 50% of experience acquired in industry (preferably within R&D)
? Experience working in a quality control lab, and an understanding of basic quality principles
? Wet chemistry, titration, or organic functional group analysis
? Experience with ASTM fuels testing methods is a plus
? Proficient in Chromeleon and Microsoft Excel.
? Experience in both using & configuring LIMS software.Responsibilities include:
1. Accurately and precisely preparing and analyzing samples for GC, LC and GC-MS (emphasis on GCMS).
2. Analyzing data on a routine basis, along with timely reporting to internal customers.
3. Assist in maintaining instruments and troubleshooting instrument related problems.
4. Diligence in recognizing and communicating presence of unidentified chromatographic peaks or other
5. Apply advanced separation and MS tools to specific problems to assist the team in identifying
6. Developing new validated methods for high throughput analysis of metabolites to meet R&D needs.
7. Optimize the metabolomics workflow by coupling automation platforms with analytical pipelines and
porting data to high-end computational tools.
8. Communicating results in a timely fashion, both verbally and in writing in clear and succinct manner.
||133 North Altadena Drive |
Pasadena, CA 91107