About Tesla Motors:
Tesla Motors is an aggressive young company in the San Francisco Bay Area. We design and manufacture the advanced electric vehicles, battery packs, and drive systems that are changing the future of transportation. We are building technically strong, fast-moving teams that pride themselves on superior execution.
Senior Controls Engineer â€" Motor & Gearbox & Drive Unit
Powertrain Manufacturing Engineering
Tesla is looking for a highly motivated Senior Controls Engineer to develop new automation equipment and assembly lines for our cutting edge Drive Units (Motor, Gearbox and Inverter assembly).
Tesla Drive Units are critical parts of Tesla electric Drivetrains and at the heart of our company Powertrain business. This is an exciting opportunity to build a world class manufacturing facility right here in the Bay Area. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on a critical subsystem of incredibly exciting products.
Candidate will develop machine and process concept, create Controls architecture, design and supervise electrical-pneumatic-hydraulic schematics, program equipment PLC, HMI, servo drives and Robots from power-on to final process fine tuning and validation.
Roles and Responsibilities:
In addition to developing custom control systems for new manufacturing equipment and processes, the Senior Controls Engineer works with cross-functional teams throughout the entire lifecycle of the product. He/She works closely with Design Engineering, Quality, Production, and Maintenance teams to take the Drivetrain components from initial design through prototype development and into full production.
Process Integration, Equipment Development and Implementation
- From early prototype manual assembly processes and in close collaboration with Mechanical Engineers, Senior Controls Engineer will increase volume, quality, and productivity by
- Upgrading processes with actuators, safeguards, quality data tracking, operator interfaces,
- Integrating processes into custom build Automation Cell
- Creating custom build Mechatronic systems to accomplish increasingly complex tasks
- In-house automated process development:
- Develop process sequence and design workstation Controls architecture
- Size, specify, and select electrical components based on application performance requirements
- Create electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics
- Manage controls cabinet build and equipment wiring and plumbing phases
- Program Controls
- Develop Human Machine Interface (HMI) and/or Graphic User Interface (GUI)
- Debug and fine tune process
- Characterize and validate process
- Create data tracking communication interface with Manufacturing Execution System (MES)
- Introduce process into production
- Train and support Maintenance
- Out-sourced new automation equipment:
- Management of suppliers during specification, design, buyoff and installation of manufacturing equipment
- Characterization and validation of new equipment and fixtures for introduction to the production floor
Assembly Line Development and Implementation
- Create detailed utility layout for entire assembly lines and interface with facility team for implementation.
- Create data tracking communication layout and interface with cross-functional teams for product traceability implementation.
- Provide training and progressively hand over equipment management responsibility to Production and Maintenance teams.
The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills and attention to detail. He/She appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. He/She looks forward to learning an incredible amount on the job.
Skills and Experience:
- Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical / mechatronic systems
- Proficiency in sizing and selecting Controls components based on performance requirements.
- Proficiency creating detailed electrical and fluid schematics in CAD (AutoCAD preferred)
- Proficiency programming:
- Ladder logic PLC (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix, GE Fanuc)
- Ethernet I/P communications
- Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI - Wonderware InTouch, AB Panelview, LabView)
- Field bus Networks (AB DeviceNet)
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and Manufacturing Execution System (APRISO).
- Proficiency programming variable frequency drives
- Proficiency with assembly and material handling automation solution (linear distance time and pressure transducer, mix meter dispense system, temperature controller, etc)
- Experience programming Robots is a plus (FANUC 6-axis, Cartesian, SCARA)
- Experience with rotating machines, gearbox and AC motor assembly is a plus
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated manufacturing equipment is a plus
- Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype to production desired
- Experience with Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc)
- Knowledgeable about Manufacturing Execution System integration (MES). APRISO is a plus.
- Knowledgeable about production quality metrics is a plus
- Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent â€" Major in: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic, Automation)
- 5+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Applications Engineer working on automation or electromechanical systems.