Senior Data Architect, HuffPost HuffingtonPost.com
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED Big Data, Software Engineering
Huffington Post Data Architect
About the Huffington Post:
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 46 million monthly unique visitors (comScore December, 2012) posting more than 8 million comments each month. The site has more than 40,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, Spain, Italy, and Japan.
Are you ready to rain change down on the world of digital journalism? Are you tired of waiting for the future of media and want to help HuffPost invent it? The Huffington Post continues to have a substantial impact on how millions of people around the world consume and converse about the important event in their lives. We publish more than a thousand articles and blog posts every day. We have over 250 million comments from our fiercely loyal community. Our Pulitzer Prize winning editors and reporters have been recognized as industry leaders. But the best kept secret about HuffPost is the world class engineering and design team who work hand-in-hand with our editorial staff to create some of the most innovative Internet media applications on the web, on your pad, and on your phone. With million of users and billions of page views every month the Huffington Post challenges the engineer and designer with a huge audience and a chance to make a significant difference in the lives of people all over the world.
As a member of the HuffPost Tech Team you will start launching new software ASAP. We use a real-world agile development process that includes rapid development of new products designed by small teams working closely with our tech-savvy data-driven editors. We are innovating on the web with partners like TED Talks and leading editorial teams in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa; on mobile with new and ground breaking iOS and Android applications and responsive websites; and with our realtime video network HuffPost Live.
HuffPost Tech Team members are hardcore software development and design professionals who take user interface design and coding seriously but have a great time while doing so. We don't know the difference between work and play. Not only do we have healthy snacks, nap rooms, and a ping pong table but a Minecraft server as well. The HuffPost Tech Team is small enough that you get know know everyone but large enough that you'll find a great work-life balance.
- Build a next generation global stats infrastructure and architecture for both real-time and historical data
analytics for all of the Huffington Post product suites including huffingtonpost.com, Huffpost Live and our
- Build a world class reporting suite to complement the new stats architecture for realtime and historical
- Enhance and optimize existing big data architecture components using Hadoop, Pig, RabbitMQ and Redis
- Work closely with Editorial and Business teams to optimize our data and reporting needs to provide
important and timely business intelligence
- Lead the efforts to architect our next generation data science needs such as recommendation systems,
A/B Testing and other Big Data projects
- Taming huge amounts of text/unstructured data using not only programming paradigms like functional
programming (map reduce) but the skillset in hacking scripts to deliver logic that you need to productize
- 3 or more years experience building large , scalable multi-datacenter big data architectures using
technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra and Hbase
- Familiarity with data mining algorithms such as K-Means, SVM, PageRank, etc
- Experience with Agile Development
- Experience with MySQL, Unix, NoSQL databases and Open Source Software as well as Unix system
administration skills, especially scripting in Bash or Shell
- Experience operationalizing a large data infrastructure by working closely with operations teams and
integrating proper monitoring tools into the architecture
- Sense of humor
- Strong interest in journalism, media, or any of the liberal arts
- Expertise and experience with with almost any of these languages: Scala, Java, C/C++, R, Shell, Pig.
The HuffPost NYC office is located at the corner of Broadway and East 9th Street. We're next door to the East Village and best ramen noodles in Manhattan (this fact alone is crucial). Under our building you'll find the N and R subway trains and we're just a short walk away from Union Square (A, C, E, 4, 5, 6, and L Trains). On your way to and from the office you'll run into the famous Strand Bookstore, Forbidden Planet Comic Book Shop, New York University, and Cooper Union.
||New York, NY |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED