Senior Data Scientist
@Bit9 + Carbon Black Â in Waltham, MA
Bit9 + Carbon Black is investing significantly in its Threat Intelligence team and is looking for the very best Data Scientists in the Industry
. If you enjoy sifting through massive amounts of data to find the golden key that unlocks a decade long-mystery; writing sophisticated algorithms to separate the signal from the noise; or slicing, dicing, and visualizing data in new and interesting ways to highlight anomalies and insights â we want to talk to you!
As the leader in the next generation endpoint arena, Bit9 + Carbon Black have one of the most extensive endpoint data sets around. As a Data Scientist within our Threat Intelligence (TI) Team
you will have the opportunity to dig through mountains of real world data to help build a massively scalable, automatically updating Threat Intelligence Ecosystem. If you enjoy writing algorithms designed to uncover new security threats then youâve come to the right place.
In addition to the research youâll be doing with our data set, youâll also be responsible for:
- Choosing the best algorithms and techniques that best achieve the delicate balance between false and true positives
- Leveraging customer feedback to lower the false positive rates of existing algorithms
- Interfacing with Threat Researchers to identify new and novel ways to exploit attributes and relationships within our data set
- Collaborating with Product Management and Engineering to drive new collection capabilities, allowing you access to a larger, deeper, and more meaningful data set
- Proposing new features and functionality into the Bit9 + Carbon Black product suite
As such, it is expected that you provide significant leadership and subject matter expertise both internally and externally. If you are:
Then youâre exactly the person we need
- Ready for your next challenge
- Experienced as both a software engineer using âbig dataâ sets and a data scientist mining data sets
- Fascinated by pulling the signal from the noise
- Experienced with either endpoint or network security, including understanding of how malware interacts with operating systems and communicates over the wire
- Able to identify clear âbest bang for the buckâ paths to take among that many presented when dealing with large-scale data mining.
- Apt to take the stairsâ¦two at a time
. Join us in the battle to secure the internet - one device at a time!Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Requirements and Qualifications
- Manipulate high-volume endpoint and network data stores, in structured (SQL) and unstructured (NoSQL) forms
- Independently identify data points that can be translated into high-value actionable intelligence to customers. This requires a deep understanding of how malicious software works, both in terms of interactions with the operating system and operations on the network
- Work with the engineering team to optimize and enhance the underlying data storage engines, including stepping in as needed to provide engineering support
- Work with other members of the Threat Intelligence team to transform the results of data mining into actionable, tested intelligence usable by customers.
- Be equally comfortable working on a large-scale effort with a well-defined goal as exploring data in an ad-hoc or self-directed way, achieving beneficial results to customers either way.
- Demonstrate the âRespect, Responsibility and Resultsâ philosophy of the Bit9 engineering team.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related fields.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience with data mining in a network or endpoint security environment
- Experience working with a distributed team
- Understanding of malware common practices
- Experience building actionable intelligence usable by end customers with a variety of skillsets, ranging from deep technical security expertise to basic understanding
- Experienced as both an engineer/software developer and as a data scientist
- Thrive in a fast-paced, results oriented environment
- Track record of delivering on schedule
- Familiar with a range of tools and technologies, including SQL and âNoSQLâ technologies
- Familiar with programming in Python and/or Java.
- Able to work independently and take specific instruction, switching as requested
- Knowledge of offensive and defensive cyber-security concepts and tactics, secure software development, incident response and/or computer forensics preferred.
We are building out the team now. Our initial Threat Intelligence Team hires will be instrumental in shaping the organization and offerings from day one. Our emphasis at this point is to get great people
on board and leverage their strengths as opposed to trying to fill narrowly defined roles. We want the right DNA!
If you feel your interest and industry expertise map up, letâs talk! We want to hear all about what you have done and what could be on deck for you next. Some Background on Bit9 + Carbon Black: www.bit9.com
Bit9 + Carbon Black protects the world's intellectual property (IP) by providing innovative, trust-based security solutions to detect and prevent sophisticated cyber threats. The world's leading brands rely on Bit9 + Carbon Black's award-winning Advanced Threat Protection Platform for endpoint protection and server security.
The company's global customers come from a wide variety of industries, including e-commerce, financial services, government, healthcare, retail, technology and utilities. Bit9 + Carbon Black was founded on a prestigious United States federal research grant from the National Institute of Standards and Technology - Advanced Technology Program (NIST ATP) to conduct the research that is now at the core of the company's solutions.