About Tesla Motors:
Tesla Motors is a fast-moving and constantly-innovating young company in the San Francisco Bay Area. We design and manufacture advanced electric vehicles, battery packs, and drive systems that are changing the future of transportation. We are building technically strong, fast-moving teams that pride themselves on superior execution.
Tesla Motors designs and sells high-performance, highly efficient electric cars such as the acclaimed Model S which has achieved the highest honors and achievements of any car ever built. Our cars combine style, acceleration, and handling with advanced technologies that make them among the quickest and the most energy efficient cars on the road.
Department: Material Flow Engineering
Job Title: Senior Manager, Material Flow Engineering
The Senior Manager for Material Flow Engineering will be responsible for leading the design, engineering, and implementation of new technologies, including software and robotics, for quick and efficient flow of parts from dock to warehouse to point of consumption. These technologies will initially be planned and implemented at the Tesla Factory located in Fremont, California, but will eventually be implemented in all factories built by Tesla globally. The primary objectives of the Material Flow Engineering team will be to reduce overall vehicle build cycle time while optimizing space, improving labor productivity, and creating a more ergonomic work environment for Tesla's associates. This position will report to the Director of Material Flow Engineering.
- Hire, develop, and lead a team of engineers and technicians that will analyze, design, and implement world-class material flow systems.
- Manage and lead efforts to develop standard material flow design standards and principles for Tesla's manufacturing and assembly facilities.
- Direct junior and senior engineers that will design, develop, and implement solutions for dramatically improving material flows through the factory using Lean Principles. The design scope includes material arrival at docks through delivery to line-side locations. The focus will be on developing innovative new solutions for manufacturing that leverage automated systems.
- Targeted goals include:
- Dramatic reduction in material handling waste
- Significant improvement in labor efficiency
- Optimized space utilization
- Highly accurate part selection
- Oversee concept development, prototype testing, engineering design, and collaboration with 3rd parties on system build, integration testing, project management, implementation, and handoff to operations at Tesla factory locations worldwide.
- Develop strategic relationships with innovative vendors of material handling systems, automation and robotics.
- Support advanced trouble-shooting and improvement of existing material flow systems that are beyond the scope of the existing maintenance team.
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or similar.
- 8+ years of experience in manufacturing, supply chain and/or distribution and logistics experience desirable.
- Proven ability to coach, counsel and develop engineers to perform at peak potential for professional advancement.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with lean material flow strategies and dynamic manufacturing systems.
- Strong knowledge of material flow methodologies including sequencing, kitting, repack, etc.
- Understanding of lean manufacturing concepts with the ability to lead kaizen efforts for continuous improvement.
- Experience in budgeting, designing and the execution of multi-million dollar, complex capital equipment systems.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills. Ability to manage several complex projects at the same time with high degrees of variation and uncertainty.
- Natural ability to speak and write effectively at all organizational levels.
- Proficiency in manipulating and creating drawings with AutoCAD software.
- Master's Degree in Engineering, Business or related program preferred.
- Experience using discrete-event simulation modeling software and other advanced material flow analysis tools is a plus.
- Knowledge of material handling systems in a manufacturing or distribution system environment.
- Robotic programming and automated work cell design experience.
- Solid modeling software package experience.