Senior Scala Engineer HuffingtonPost.com
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED About the Huffington Post:
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 46 million monthly unique visitors (comScore December, 2012) posting more than 8 million comments each month. The site has more than 40,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, Spain, Italy, and Japan.
Are you ready to rain change down on the world of digital journalism? Are you tired of waiting for the future of media and want to help HuffPost invent it? The Huffington Post continues to have a substantial impact on how millions of people around the world consume and converse about the important event in their lives. We publish more than a thousand articles and blog posts every day. We have over 250 million comments from our fiercely loyal community. Our Pulitzer Prize winning editors and reporters have been recognized as industry leaders. But the best kept secret about HuffPost is the world class engineering and design team who work hand-in-hand with our editorial staff to create some of the most innovative Internet media applications on the web, on your pad, and on your phone. With million of users and billions of page views every month the Huffington Post challenges the engineer and designer with a huge audience and a chance to make a significant difference in the lives of people all over the world.
As a member of the HuffPost Tech Team you will start launching new software ASAP. We use a real-world agile development process that includes rapid development of new products designed by small teams working closely with our tech-savvy data-driven editors. We are innovating on the web with partners like TED Talks and leading editorial teams in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa; on mobile with new and ground breaking iOS and Android applications and responsive websites; and with our realtime video network HuffPost Live.
HuffPost Tech Team members are hardcore software development and design professionals who take user interface design and coding seriously but have a great time while doing so. We don't know the difference between work and play. Not only do we have healthy snacks, nap rooms, and a ping pong table but a Minecraft server as well. The HuffPost Tech Team is small enough that you get know know everyone but large enough that you'll find a great work-life balance.
- Passion for building software that makes life easier
- An understanding of the challenges involved in building popular applications at web scale
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience building scalable web application (better language for this?)
Given the breadth of scenarios our Engineering team tackles, experience or interest in the following would
- NoSQL solutions (MongoDB, Cassandra, CouchDB, etc.)
- Interest in Functional Programming ( Scala, Lisp, Haskell, Scheme, Clojure, Erlang and OCaml)
- Server and client-side template frameworks (Handlebars, Mustache, Dust.js, etc.)
- Benchmarking server and client-side performance.
- Cloud based services and hosting (AWS EC2, etc.)
- Developing APIs and Web Services.
- Consuming interesting APIs (Twilio, GroupMe, Venmo, Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, etc.)
- Geo-location, geometry and mapping
- Mobile development
- Open source projects
- Comfort with Git
||New York, NY |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED