Senior Vehicle Test Engineer - Reliability Tesla Motors
Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.
This position will work as a member of Tesla's Vehicle Test Group to support vehicle level testing for Reliability tests performed in-house and at external test sites. The primary objective of this role is to conduct vehicle level tests in accordance with test plans and test procedures and communicate test results to internal engineering teams for successful validation to Tesla requirements. The successful candidate for this position must have a broad background in automotive vehicle level testing.
- Lead the daily activities of the Reliability Test Team
- Design, develop and validate Tesla vehicle level test procedures
- Create vehicle level test plans and conduct test trips according to plan and within budget
- Work with external and in-house test labs and proving grounds to lead testing activities
- Conduct vehicle level tests according to Tesla test plans and test procedures
- Record & analyze data collected during testing
- Conduct vehicle and component inspections after test completion to discover issues generated during testing
- Write test reports to document results of testing and to communicate issues found during testing
- Create â€œconcerns documentationâ€ for corrective action resolution of issues identified during testing
- Conduct countermeasure validation testing to approve corrective action resolution
- Participate in detailed design reviews to drive definition and validation of proper vehicle systems behavior and in program reviews to provide feedback on vehicle performance to release or hold product for production
- Work with internal engineering team and external suppliers to develop and validate performance of components and systems and validation activities. Review component DVP&R's plans
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive experience in operating data acquisition systems (VBox, SoMAT eDAQ, LMS) for data collection of vehicle instrumentation with thermal couples/accelerometers/strain gauges/pressure sensors/load cells/LVDT/etc.
- Strong ability to post process and analyze data using tools (nCode Glyphworks/Matlab) to validate system performance
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement to establish effective working relationships with Tesla engineering and test teams, outside test labs and others within and outside Tesla
- Broad experience working in cross functional teams to drive product development and a demonstrated ability to influence direction of design based on test results
- Experience working with various test labs with broad contacts in the field of automotive testing
- Ability to follow oral, written, email, and text message instructions
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines
- Work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals
- Maintain top level professional integrity and appearance
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, parts, tools and materials used in vehicle maintenance
- Ability to operate a wide variety of hand and power tools, shop tools, and shop equipment
- Ability to operate and use diagnostic scan tools, scopes, meters, and other test equipment
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- A minimum of 5 years of automotive experience in Reliability Testing
- Must have valid driver's license
- Candidates must have the ability and willingness to travel (Up to 40%)
Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.