Sr. Database Administrator (MySQL/Linux) Demand Media
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Sr. Database Administrator (MySQL/Linux)
IT | Toronto, Canada
Senior Database Administrator (MySQL/Linux)
CoveritLive.com / Demand Media
Operations and IT | Toronto, ON, Canada
Demand Media (NYSE:DMD) informs, entertains and connects millions of people every day. Through a portfolio of vertical web properties reaching more than 100 million monthly visitors, a global network of digital partners, and a breakthrough content studio, Demand Media publishes what the world wants to know and share. Join the company that is shaping the future of media â€" how it's created, consumed and shared!
CoveritLive, a part of the Social Products Group of Demand Media (NYSE:DMD), is the world's leader in live events, supporting over 22,000 live blogs, chats, Q&A sessions and second-screen experiences per month. CoveritLive puts brands as diverse as ESPN, People and Ford on the cutting edge of real-time online events and Social TV.
During the 2012 Oscars, publications like Entertainment Weekly enriched the TV broadcast for more than a million movie fans with an interactive, multimedia 2nd screen experience. More than 2 million football fanatics got â€˜way more out of this year's NFL draft by taking part in CoveritLive-powered events. And more than 2.5 million Apple fans enjoyed real-time coverage of the closed-door iPhone5 announcement â€" including photos and polls and audience participation â€" thanks to CoveritLive.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is as diverse, adventurous and open-minded as the content we create for the world. We encourage all of our employees to learn and grow personally and professionally so they can assume greater responsibilities and advance their careers.
Our office is located in downtown Ontario, near the St. Andrews station (one station away from Union Station)
We are seeking an experienced, self-motivated Database/Linux Administrator to work closely with the Product engineering and network operations teams to enhance, build and design scalable, highly-available systems that sustain ever-growing real-time and live event products. The person in this role will be responsible for designing and maintaining the strategy and execution of all product pieces related to performance, scale and availability including caching strategies, database optimization, proactive monitoring and automated escalation.
Required Technical Skills:
Experience and Attributes:
- Entrepreneurial spirit that likes to work in a great team environment
- Solid DBA level experience with MySQL including building database servers and setting up MySQL replication strategies.
- Expert knowledge of LAMP Stack
- Expert Linux admin with Debian and Redhat/Centos experience
- Will get to create strategies around Disaster Recovery Program
- Experience with extremely large volume web properties (1 billion+ PVs per month)
- Demonstrate success in supporting and optimizing a high visibility/high volume web application in a 24/7 environment using Apache httpd and caching proxy servers
- Experience designing and implementing multi-level caching
- Experience designing and administering highly-available systems
- Experience with scaling large, high-use data sets (millions of concurrent, hundreds of thousands of writes)
- Strong grasp of security and monitoring concepts
- PHP development experience is a plus but not required
- University degree or equivalent education (preferred)
- 5+ years working with web applications
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Able to work well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently
- Someone that wants to expand their skill sets and grow (small team; lots of opportunity to wear a lot of hats)
- Might get an experience to work on several other cool projects within different divisions of the company
<< Back to Current Openings
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED