Sr. Database Administrator Demand Media
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED
Sr. Database Administrator
IT | Santa Monica, CA, United States
Sr. Database Administrator - Santa Monica, CA
(MySQL/SQL Server/Liunx Solutions)
Demand Media (NYSE:DMD) informs, entertains and connects millions of people every day. Through a portfolio of vertical web properties reaching more than 100 million monthly visitors, a global network of digital partners, and a breakthrough content studio, Demand Media publishes what the world wants to know and share. Join the company that is shaping the future of media â€" how it's created, consumed and shared!
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is as diverse, adventurous and open-minded as the content we create for the world. We encourage all of our employees to learn and grow personally and professionally so they can assume greater responsibilities and advance their careers.
We're looking for ambitious, driven, self-starters who want to be on the leading edge of innovation in online media and technology. This position is located in Santa Monica, CA.
The Sr. Database Administrator (DBA) will be a key member of the production media operations team which manages many of the top media sites. This DBA will be front-line support of MySQL and MS SQL Servers. They will need to wear a few hats including identifying root cause analysis of performance and break-fix problems, server migrations and installations, disaster recovery, configuration and monitoring of alerts, data exports/imports, performance tuning, and capacity management. Also, must have excellent team communication and working relationship with systems, devops, and networking teams to improve or create enterprise class applications. Additionally, the successful candidate must be able to learn and act quickly under stress in supporting a mission critical 24x7 production environment.
- Supporting existing MS SQL Server and MySQL database servers with emphasis on Linux solutions.
- Help with migrations of RDMS from current to latest edition and from MS SQL Server to MySQL or NoSQL.
- Expert level support of databases supporting mission critical web applications and internal applications.
- MySQL replication, backup, restore, and table corruption recovery.
- Enforce secure database and server implementations with least privilege access methodology.
- Design, install and maintain highly available database systems including, monitoring, securing, backing up, and performance tuning.
- Provide excellent troubleshooting skills with knowledge of networking, application database configuration, and RDMS connectivity testing.
- Expertise with writing sql scripts and procedures, command line batch scripts, to maintain and automate job functions and responsibilities.
- Recommend use of 3rd party tools as necessary to complete daily capacity and issue analysis.
- Understand SDLC policies in SOX/PCI compliant organization.
- Complete tasks required to maintain service levels of project delivery and ensure availability of all site features and functions.
- Provide the database best practice design methodologies and continuously re-assessing the infrastructure for opportunities of optimization that would save infrastructure costs and or getting the best out of our technology assets.
- Willing to learn and support existing MongoDB and other NoSQL database systems.
- Minimum 5 years of database administration experience including advanced understanding of MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server, supporting mission critical databases in a production datacenter environment.
- Proficiency with all database support tools provided by database vendor.
- Disaster recovery expertise with backups/restores and database data corruption/deletion mitigation.
- Troubleshooting skills and ability to understand complex relationships between components of multi-tiered and distributed web sites.
- Broad knowledge of common applications and technologies in Internet computing (web servers, database servers, load balancers etc)
- Working expertise with at least one scripting language (dos, powershell, perl, bash, etc.)
- Advanced Linux and Windows administration knowledge specific to supporting RDMS systems only.
- Expertise with at least one highly-available database technology like clustering, replication, mirroring, etc.
- Ability to provide reliable and fast technical support in a dynamic environment.
- Leadership qualities and strong procedural and architectural documentation skills with related tools (such as Visio) and demonstrated technical mentoring capabilities
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical concepts clearly to peers and management.
- Experience with any source control software application.
- Experience with migrating or upgrading to newer releases of RDMS's.
- 24x7 on call rotation with ability to make correct decisions to resolve outages in production systems on their own.
About Us: Founded in 2006, Demand Media is headquartered in Santa Monica, CA with offices in Kirkland, WA, Austin, TX, New York, NY and London, UK. For more information visit: www.demandmedia.com
<< Back to Current Openings
||Santa Monica |
THIS JOB HAS EXPIRED