Mechanical Test Engineer
Tesla's goal is to accelerate the world's transition to electric mobility with a full range of increasingly affordable electric cars. California-based Tesla designs and manufactures EVs, as well as EV powertrain components for partners such as Toyota and Daimler. Tesla has delivered over 15,000 electric vehicles to customers in 31 countries. Model S is the world's first premium sedan to be engineered from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Model S was named Motor Trend's prestigious 2013 Car of the Year, achieved the best safety score of any car ever tested by the NHTSA, and Consumer Reports is calling it the best car it has ever tested.
Tesla Motors is committed to hiring and developing top talent from across the world for any given discipline. Our world-class teams operate with a non-conventional automotive product development philosophy of high inter-disciplinary collaboration, flat organizational structure, and technical contribution at all levels. You will be expected to challenge and to be challenged, to create, and to innovate. These jobs are not for everyone, you must have a genuine passion for producing the best vehicles in the world. Without passion, you will find what we're trying to do too difficult.
The Test Engineer is a member of the Mechanical Test & Validation Team which is part of the Quality Organization.
He/she will lead the development, implementation and application of Tesla internal test and validation plans and methods for various automotive systems and components. The ideal candidate has a proven record of success in the development and conduction of validation plans in an automotive engineering/manufacturing environment. He/she must have a broad technical background with the ability to work with engineering, manufacturing and quality personnel across a wide variety of issues. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement to establish effective working relationships within and outside of Tesla.
The successful candidate for this position takes pride in his/her hands-on and analytical abilities, organization skills and attention to detail. He/She appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded.
- Develop Test/Validation Plans/Methods that assure reliability, structural and other engineering targets are met by the component/system tested
- Develop Test/Validation equipment and fixtures
- Conduct internal and external tests and validation activity. This includes but is not limited to durability, thermal, structural, materials and regulatory testing on a component and system level basis.
- Report on issues fund during test and work closely with Engineering, Quality and Manufacturing teams to address these
- Support the development of FMEAs (Design & Process) to identify critical risks to be addressed.
- Support the definition of critical features for the product design.
- Support Engineering, Manufacturing and Quality Organizations with Test/Validation needs
- Serve as lead validation representative to our customer(s) for assigned projects
- BS or higher degree in a relevant engineering discipline (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, â€¦)
- 8+ years experience working in an automotive or aerospace engineering/manufacturing environment
- 5+ years experience in a Test Engineering role
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with a variety of test validation methods
- Understanding or specific training of reliability theories and their application
- Experience and demonstrated success in the use of a broad variety of test, control and data acquisition equipment and software (i.e. MatLab, LabView, etc.)
- Understanding of basic electronics and hands on experience with signal conditioning and measurement systems preferred
- Working knowledge of vehicle level electronic system integration/communication
- Experience with hydraulic and pneumatic systems strongly preferred
- Experience and demonstrated success with Structural Test Rig design
- Hands on capabilities and ability to machine/fabricate preferred.
- Strong analytic problem solving skills
- Experience and demonstrated success in the CAD design (Catia V5 preferred) of automotive/aerospace test fixture components
- Able to work well under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines
- Remain engaged, proactive and positive in tough circumstances, owning assignments and taking full accountability for their success
- Maintain flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments, coping with rapidly changing information
- Work efficiently and productively in independent and team settings
- Communicate clearly using excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong organization skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Passion for testing and â€œcradle to graveâ€ approach in validation projects
- Self-initiative and strong desire to learn new skills and/or create innovative test methods
- Fluent with common MS office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)